Weather Fiji, Suva   Max 30°C, Min 23°C

Fiji Sun


Gwythe Strikes Twice For Wellington

Gwythe Strikes Twice For Wellington
Ba’s Saula Waqa on the attack against Team Wellington during the semifinal at ANZ Stadium last night. Photo: Jona Konataci
April 22
13:47 2015

What happened: It will be an all New Zealand final in the 2015 Fiji Airways OFC Champions League after Wellington FC defeated Ba FC 2-0 in the second semifinal at the ANZ Stadium last night.

The Matt Calcott-coached side known to score from set-piece play was again at its usual best and scored two quick goals to keep the Men In Black under pressure.

Team Wellington was awarded a penalty in the 7th minute of play after striker Michael Gwyther was brought down inside the box. His attempt was stopped in style by diving Ba goalie Misiwani Nairube, much to the delight of a jam packed local crowd.

Team Wellington Gwyther makes up for his earlier miss by heading past a diving Nairube to open the score board in the 11th minute.

The stylish marksman headed in the second goal in the 16th minute in a similar fashion in the five minutes later to double the advantage for his team.

Ba had the chance to pull one back in the 27th minute after an attempt by Abbu Zahid was deliberately blocked by a Wellington defender, forcing referee Norbert Hauata to point to the penalty spot. Wellington led 2-0 at the breather.

Ba coach Shalen Lal replaced Keegan Linderboom and Manasa Nawakula with

Shameel Rao and Laisenia Raura early after the restart and the changes did make an impact as the number of shots at goal kept increasing but the opening did not come for the Fijians.

Team Wellington’s midfield looked more organised in the latter stages of the game and this allowed them to launch more attacks and keep Ba back into its own territory. Visitors won 2-0 at full time.

Big Play: Ba applied pressure in the second half and had goal scoring opportunities but continuously failed.

Star turn: The visitors regrouped well in the first 16 minutes from the corner kick to score double chances.

Comments: Wellington head coach Matt Calcott said he is excited for a all New Zealand final.

“We have played Auckland FC three times this year and we are ready and excited with this all New Zealand final, this is a special occasion,” Calcott said.

“We are delighted to reach the final in our first outing and the focus now shifts to the match against Auckland City which should be very tough and challenging.”

Ba coach Shalen Lal was impressed with his player’s performance in the second half.

“We were awesome in the second half and the boys played very well. A goal could have made the difference but sadly we could get on the score-sheet,” Lal said.

Meanwhile, Defending champions Auckland City FC defeated Gaitcha FC 1-0 in the first semifinal at the ANZ Stadium yesterday.



Related Articles

you said it
"I support it 200 percent, I am with FRU, the country and the people of Fiji. We want to bid to get one of the HSBC stops in Fiji."
Waisale Serevi
Sevens Legend

Latest Photo Gallery

Fijisun Online @Instagram