Man Survives House Fire In Lautoka
A man escaped unhurt from his burning home yesterday morning at Tomuka in Lautoka.
Virendra Prasad, 59, was alone in his five-bedroom home when the fire started at around 10.30am.
Damage has been estimated at more than $50,000, considering that all family belongings were destroyed.
“My wife and two sons went to Suva in the morning and my daughter was out so I fell asleep,” Mr Prasad said.
“The sound of the fire woke me up and I managed to move my car away from the house.”
Mr Prasad, who had no shirt on said the trousers he had on was the only clothes he had left.
He said the Tomuka area had been without water for two days and this had left them helpless to extinguish the fire before the National Fire Authority (NFA) team arrived.
He said he did not know how the fire started. Mr Prasad is calling on Government to help rebuild his home.
Investigations into the fire are being carried out by the Police and NFA.
Edited by Naisa Koroi