Major Fire Averted In Lautoka; Nasinu Family Homeless After Blaze
A major fire was averted in Lautoka twice, on Friday night and yesterday, at a building occupied by the University of South Pacific’s Western Campus.
The first fire begun sometime after 10pm on Friday night on the ground floor of Western House, which is owned by the Catholic Church. The other incident, on the same building, took place yesterday morning on the second floor.
However, fire officers from Lautoka and one from Nadi managed to contain the blaze. Yesterday, before 8am, a security guard at the building noticed flames coming out of the second floor. The second floor has an office and lecture room.
The NFA were again called and using extension ladders on one of the fire tenders, the officers managed to bring the fire under control.
Fire officers were later seen at the site conducting thorough checks throughout the three top floors of the building.
The property officer for the Catholic Church, Apolosi Vinau, said they would only comment after the fire authority and Police had conducted their investigations.
No comment could be obtained from USP, however a staff member said they were not allowed inside the premises until NFA and Police investigations were complFete.
Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro said they were investigating.
Fire in Nasinu
Meanwhile, a family of four in Nasinu are homeless after their two-bedroom house was destroyed in a fire last night.
The fire started at around 6:30pm at Votua Road in Narere.
It took fire-fighters more than two hours to put out the fire.
Family members, still in a state of shock, declined to talk. They said they would speak later. No one was injured. The family members are being billeted by the neighbours.
National Fire Authority is continuing its investigations.
Edited by Naisa Koroi