Boat Wreckage Found, Two Still Missing
A search party looking for the missing fisherman and his son has found what has been confirmed to be the wreckage from the boat used by the pair.
Police said the wreckage was from the 24-foot marine ply-board boat linked to the missing two.
Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro said those were in addition to those found on Monday afternoon.
Still missing are John Knowles and son Ilisoni Naucumalua, 11, who failed to return from a fishing trip last Saturday.
They were last seen leaving the Sigatoka River.
Ms Naisoro added the other wreckages were found, but there was still no sign of the two.
The search is still underway, she confirmed.
Mr Knowles’ nephew, William Naduva, 28, of Nausori arrived at Kulukulu with his mother once they heard of the tragic news.
“We were walking with Police officers who were patrolling the beach when we sighted a white object floating. When retrieved by an officer, we found that it was the front part of the boat,” said Mr Naduva.
On Monday afternoon, a 43-year-old man of Kulukulu found some wreckage, later established to be parts of the missing boat at the mouth of the Sigatoka River.
They were confirmed by the boat owner, Mukesh Chand, 37.
“John had been using our boat for one month now and it was surprising to see that the tragic event has happened,” he said.
Mr Chand added that Police had found pieces of the boat including the fridge to keep the fish.
Mr Knowles’ wife, Mareca Finau, said she was still hopeful that her husband and son had since drifted and sheltered on an island.
Edited by Caroline Ratucadra