Weather Fiji, Suva   Max 30°C, Min 23°C

Fiji Sun


Calf Drags Woman to Her Death

Calf Drags Woman to Her Death
Selita Vono (sitting second from right), in this family photo during happier times.
June 30
13:21 2017

A Rakiraki woman died after the rope tied around her waist to a calf tightened and allegedly killed her when the animal bolted.

52-year-old Selita Vono, a market vendor of Naqoro in Ra, was dragged some distance from where she had initially tied the calf.

It is believed that the calf took off dragging Ms Vono over stones and rough terrain until her neighbours saw the inicident.

The incident happened at around 7am on Tuesday.

The neighbours who had found her  were too upset to talk to the media as they had known the deceased very well.

Ms Vono’s daughter Amelia Raika, 24, said: “I could not believe that my mother is no more.

“We are still trying to determine the actual cause of my mother’s death,” she said.

“Every day my mother would wake up early to tie our cattle and goats and then would get ready to go to market.

“On Tuesday my mother went to tie our cattle and goats, but she did not return in time,” she said.

Ms Raika said her elder sister who was waiting for their mother started getting worried.

“After a while, her aunty came and asked my elder sister of my mother’s whereabouts.

“My sister replied that my mother had gone to tie our cattle and goats,” she said.

Ms Raika said her aunty and her sister had gone to a place where her mother had gone to tie the cattle and goat.

“They saw my mother was covered in blood, rope tied around her waist and police were already at the scene.

“One of my cousin brothers had called my aunt saying to go and see because something had happened to my mother.

“Everyone in Naqoro settlement knew my mother. My mother was a very nice, hardworking, loving and caring person,” she said.

Ms Raika said their family is yet to decide on their mother’s funeral service.

Ms Vono’s husband Jone Nakeka said: “It hurts me that I was not with my wife when the incident happened.

“We both wake up at 4 am on Tuesday. I went to cut sugarcane and she went  to tie our cattle and goats.

“I never knew that such a thing would happen to her. I am going to miss my wife so much,” he said.

Mr Nakeka said they were happy together.

Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro said they are continuing with investigations.

Edited by Karalaini Waqanidrola


Related Articles