Weather Fiji, Suva   Max 30°C, Min 23°C

Fiji Sun


Briefly From Court

Briefly From Court
July 06
12:13 2017

Fiji Chess, FASANOC hearing adjourned

The High Court in Suva has adjourned the hearing on the injunction and original summons against the FASANOC (Fiji Association of Sports and National Committee) to July 17.

The Fiji Chess Association (FCF) had taken FASANOC to court after it claimed that its suspension was based out of rumours and that FASANOC had no powers to interfere in FCF’s affairs.

The cancellation of its Annual General Meeting in March, FCF claimed was beyond its control.

Earlier on, before judge Justice Deepthi Amaratunga, an injunction had been therefore sought against FASANOC’s purported suspension of FCF as a member in April. Due to the absence of FCF’s lawyer, the representing lawyer, Nathan Krishneel, yesterday requested Justice Amaratunga for the hearing to be adjourned.

Previously, the plaintiff’s lawyer had also asked if the response to the injunction could be made by the defence lawyer at the earliest. This was because FCF wanted to register to participate in an international game. As part of the substantive action, the Fiji Chess Federation had also sought the court’s permission to conduct an annual general meeting.



Ex-civil servant awaits sentencing

A former examiner of Trademarks and Patents at the Office of the Trademarks and Patents was found guilty for two counts of soliciting and accepting an advantage at the Suva Magistrates Court yesterday.

Simione Seeto appeared before Magistrate Jioji Boseiwaqa and was represented by Mr Bale. The FICAC had charged Seeto in 2014 and proved that Seeto asked and accepted an advantage in the sum of $40 from the complainant as lunch money. It was also proven that Seeto on another occasion asked the complainant for $100.  Seeto came in contact with the complainant when he had applied for a trademark registration at the Office of Trademarks and Patents for his business.

FICAC lawyer Sanjana Datt appeared for the prosecution. The matter has been adjourned to July 12, 2017 for sentencing.



Related Articles