Weather Fiji, Suva   Max 30°C, Min 23°C

Fiji Sun

SPORTS

BOG2017: Semis In Nausori, Lautoka

BOG2017: Semis In Nausori, Lautoka
The Nadi football team at Subrail Park in Labasa on July 16, 2017. Photo: Peni Drauna
July 18
11:00 2017

The 2017 INKK Mobile Battle of the Giants semifinals will be played in two different venues.

The first semifinal between Rewa and Labasa will be played on Friday at Ratu Cakobau Park, Nausori at 7:30pm while the second semifinal between Lautoka and Nadi will be played on Saturday at Churchill Park, Lautoka at 3pm.

The final will be held on Sunday at Churchill Park, Lautoka at 2:30pm.

Fiji Football Association chief executive officer Mohammed Yusuf said the decision not to hold the semifinals in Labasa was due to logistics and cost of moving Nadi, Lautoka and Rewa back to the North.

“Taking into various considerations, the board was split but Fiji Football President Rajesh Patel decided on the venues for the semifinals,” Yusuf said.

“In view of Fiji FA commitment to the live streaming to fans worldwide, there has been overwhelming response over the past three days during the pool games in Labasa.

“The logistical nightmare of taking Rewa, Lautoka and Nadi back to Labasa would have cost us close to $20,000 whereas if we only bring Labasa to Viti Levu and to Lautoka should they qualify for the finals, it will only cost us $5000.

“We know there has been a strong support for the fans in Labasa but not really what we expected compared to last year.

“But we will not forget the Labasa fans, we are also looking at next year of taking the tournament back to Labasa which will most likely be the second half of the tournament which are the semifinals and finals if Labasa qualifies from the pool stages.”

 

Drug Testing

Of the 53 players who were tested over the three days, only one was tested positive for the use of illegal substance.

Yusuf is happy that the message is finally getting to the players.

“Out of the 53 tests we conducted only one player was found positive,” he said.

“He is now banned for a month and will be retested on August 23 and should he comes out clean there will be no further action but if he is tested positive again he will be banned.

“Fiji FA is very happy that the message is now sinking into the players and the clubs.”

Edited by Osea Bola

Feedback:  justine.mannan@fijisun.com.fj

 

 

Related Articles

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment

Your email address & phone number will not be published.
Required fields are marked *

July 2017
M T W T F S S
« Jun    
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31  

Latest Photo Gallery

Like Us On Facebook

Fijisun Online @Instagram