Weather Fiji, Suva   Max 30°C, Min 23°C

Fiji Sun


Rewa Deserve To Be In Final: Rodu

Rewa Deserve To Be In Final: Rodu
July 22
10:53 2017


Iosefo Verevou puts Rewa in the INKK Mobile Battle of the Giants (B.O.G) final after beating Labasa 1-0 in the semifinal at Ratu Cakobau Park, Nausori on Friday night.

The ‘Delta Tigers’ will play the winner of the Lautoka-Nadi second semifinal to be played today at Churchill Park in Lautoka.

Coach Marika Rodu said given the hard work the boys have put in over the last couple of weeks, they deserved to be in the final.

“The game was definitely tough and we anticipated the game to be played like this,” Rodu said.

“We knew Labasa would be this tough considering how they played in their pool matches, so for the scoreline to be narrow was nothing new,” he said.

“The boys stepped up and we deserve to be in the final because they have worked hard throughout the pool stages.

“We attacked well in the first half which resulted in a goal and I told the boys they needed to maintain that lead and not repeat what happened in the Vodafone Fiji FACT and the boys understood that.”

The journey is not over for Rewa yet and Rodu knows the tough task ahead of them as they will face either Lautoka or Nadi in the final tomorrow at Churchill Park, Lautoka at 2.30pm.

“Both teams are good and whoever goes into the final will prove to be a tough team to beat,” he said.

“Playing away from home will be difficult, but I think it will be good for the fans to travel because I know we have large following.

“There will obviously be a few areas we need to work on in order to make sure we play flawlessly in the final and we will be making use of this one day rest to really look at our game and get everything together.”

Meanwhile, Labasa coach Gurjit Singh said despite the loss, he is happy with the performance of his boys.

“It was unlucky for us, Rewa settled down faster in the first half and we managed to settle down in the second,” Singh said.

“Even though we lost, I’m still happy with how the boys performed, that’s football for you, we can’t win all the time.

“Now we will be focusing on the Vodafone Premier League and make sure that we do well in that.”


What happened?

Rewa drew first blood in the 17th minute with a perfectly-timed goal from Verevou to give Rewa the upper hand early in the game, 1-0.  Labasa tried numerous times to penetrate the Rewa defence but were unsuccessful. Few attempts at goal by Labasa both proved futile ending the first half in Rewa’s favour.


Halftime: Rewa 1-0 Labasa

Labasa came back stronger in the second spell making a few good plays but nothing came out of it. Rewa goalkeeper Simione Tamanisau worked extra hard to keep Labasa at bay. Rewa played cautiously to keep their one-nil lead as defenders put their bodies on the line to deny Labasa an equaliser.


Star Turn

Rewa striker Iosefo Verevou was the hero of the show scoring the lone goal of the match

Related Articles