Weather Fiji, Suva   Max 30°C, Min 23°C

Fiji Sun

SUNBIZ

ATS Employees Receive Dividends

ATS Employees Receive Dividends
Staff members of Air Terminal Services Fiji Limited collecting their dividend cheques on October 9, 2017. Photo: Waisea Nasokia.
October 10
11:00 2017

A total of 345 employees of Air Terminal Services yesterday shared $456,000 which was part of the dividends paid to their trust account by the company.

The workers, who belong to the Air Terminal Employees Trust, were paid their dividends in a tent set up by the rail lines, across from ATS head office because it was alleged some of the Trust’s directors were not allowed into the ATS building, which is a secure area.

However, ATS chief executive Hare Mani has refuted the claims saying that the Trust did not write to them as it had done in the past.

“If they had written to us, yes, we would have allowed them into the premises to carry out the distribution of the dividends.

“In the past the dividends were deposited into the employee’s accounts, but some of the trustees wanted to make a show today and decided to hand out cheques to the employees.”

Government has a 51 per cent share in ATS while the remaining 49 per cent belongs to the workers through the trust.

Only permanent employees are allowed to become a shareholder and each invests $2500 into the company.

This is the first dividend they have received in three years and the dividends are calculated according to the amount of money one has paid.

“I am one of the founding members of this company. We helped set up this company in 1981,” trustee chairman Jai D Singh, who had flown in from Sydney, said.

“I am here to help these workers.”

He claimed the trustees who were not allowed to go into the ATS office were himself, Lautoka lawyer Kevueli Tunidau and Viliame Finau.

“That is why we are doing this here outside ATS,” Mr Singh said.

Mr Singh also claimed two employees passed away because their health insurance covers were late to be processed.

To this Mr Mani said as in all medical cases for employees, those who are sick need to be thoroughly checked by local medical experts and if no treatment was available here, then only overseas treatment would come into place.

“It’s a pity they bring these claims up when they know very well what the process is,” Mr Mani said.

Feedback:  charles.chambers@fijisun.com.fj

 

 

Related Articles

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment

Your email address & phone number will not be published.
Required fields are marked *

you said it
"I support it 200 percent, I am with FRU, the country and the people of Fiji. We want to bid to get one of the HSBC stops in Fiji."
Waisale Serevi
Sevens Legend
October 2017
M T W T F S S
« Sep    
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031  

Like Us On Facebook

Fijisun Online @Instagram