Weather Fiji, Suva   Max 30°C, Min 23°C

Fiji Sun

NEWS

Ex-NFP Poll Hope In Court On Rape Charge, Denied Bail

Ex-NFP Poll Hope In Court On Rape Charge, Denied Bail
July 06
10:00 2018

A 66-year-old former National Federation Party provisional candidate was refused bail by the Nasinu Magistrates Court yesterday after he appeared on one charge of rape.

The accused without the consent his 53-year-old sister in law allegedly committed the incident on June 28, 2018 at the victim’s home near Centrepoint along Kings Road.

He appeared before Magistrate Sufia Hamza represented by lawyer Nancy Choo.

The charge was read out in court and when the accused was asked if he understood it, he agreed, but stated that it was not the same as what he was told previously.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Apenisa Keresoni said the State was strongly objecting to the accused’s bail because he was charged with an indictable offence and that he might interfere with the victim and the other prosecution witnesses.

Sergeant Keresoni also submitted that the case was of national interest. He made an application to have the matter transferred to the Suva High Court, adding that the accused could file his formal bail application there.

Ms Choo said the defence understood the nature of the charge, however they were requesting for bail because the victim resides in Suva and the accused in Nadi.

She told the court that the accused was brutally arrested at 1am on June 29, 2018 and was beaten up, which resulted in four of his ribs being broken.

Ms Choo submitted the accused’s medical report in court to support his bail application and informed Magistrate Hamza that he was taken for medical examination at 3pm on June 29, 2018, while he was in Police custody.

The report noted that the accused had an injury which was caused by blunt force trauma and at the time of the examination the age of the injury was less than 24 hours.

A four-centimetre long abrasion was also found on the left side of his lower abdomen.

Ms Choo submitted that the accused had not recovered from his injuries and had to be taken to the Miot Pacific Hospitals for review.

She suggested that the court impose strict bail conditions, adding the defence was willing to submit the accused’s travel documents and present two sureties.

In response Sergeant Keresoni said the state prosecution maintained its objections to his bail.

After considering submissions from both parties, Magistrate Hamza imposed an interim restraining order against the accused with standard non-molestation and no contact orders.

She refused bail on the ground that the charge was serious and the allegation was from a domestic setting. Magistrate Hamza made further orders that the accused be taken to the Colonial War Memorial Hospital for proper medical check.

The case has been adjourned for first call in the High Court on July 13, 2018.

Edited by Percy Kean

Feedback:  fonua.talei@fijisun.com.fj

Related Articles

you said it
"I support it 200 percent, I am with FRU, the country and the people of Fiji. We want to bid to get one of the HSBC stops in Fiji."
Waisale Serevi
Sevens Legend

Latest Photo Gallery

Fijisun Online @Instagram