Weather Fiji, Suva   Max 30°C, Min 23°C

Fiji Sun

NATION

Parents To Build Home In Memory Of Son

Parents To Build Home In Memory Of Son
Wilfred Underwood and Vani Adi in Nadi on 5 September 2018. PHOTO: ARIETA VAKASUKAWAQA
September 06
11:42 2018

The couple who lost a son after the tragic Nabou accident last month plan to use the accident compensation payout to build a home in memory of him.

Wilfred Underwood and wife, Vani Adi, of Korovuto, Nadi, were one of the three families who received $75,000 from Accident Compensation Commission Fiji.

Joseph was one of the eight who died as a result of the tragic Nabou accident.

Six people died at the scene on August 4, while Joseph succumbed to injuries on August 11. Another died of the same on August 7.

“We want to thank Government and all those who supported us at the time we were grieving for our son,” he said.

“This will be a great help for us since we only have one child but now he is no more.

“With the $75,000, we will see it as Joseph building a house for us before his life was taken away from us,” an emotional Mr Underwood said.

Another recipient, Manasa Boseiwaqa, said even though the money would never bring his son back, it would bring relief to him and his wife.

From left,  Accident Compensation Commission Fiji , Chief Executive Officer,Parvez Akbar with Manasa Boseiwaqa and his wife, Siteri Boseiwaqa  in Nadi on 5 September 2018. PHOTO: ARIETA VAKASUKAWAQA

From left, Accident Compensation Commission Fiji , Chief Executive Officer,Parvez Akbar with Manasa Boseiwaqa and his wife, Siteri Boseiwaqa in Nadi on 5 September 2018. PHOTO: ARIETA VAKASUKAWAQA

Six-year-old Josua Boseiwaqa was killed in road accident in Natabua, Lautoka, in May this year.

Commission chief executive officer Parvez Akbar said the scheme was only applicable to families who had lost loved ones in a road accident from January this year.

“A total of 49 Fijians lost their lives to motor vehicle accidents so far this year. Out of this, 11 was for the month of August alone,” Mr Akbar said.

“So far, we have six families who have been compensated and we are expected to make pending compensation payouts soon.

“We hope that this will provide some sort of comfort to the family of these victims,” he added.

Mr Akbar said those who received the compensation payout meant it had settled all matters and they weren’t eligible to make further claims. Edited by Ranoba Baoa

Feedback:  arieta.vakasukawaqa@fijisun.com.fj

Share

Related Articles

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment

Your email address & phone number will not be published.
Required fields are marked *

September 2018
M T W T F S S
« Aug    
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930

Latest Photo Gallery

Fijisun Online @Instagram