NEWS

Two Dead From Electrocution

EFL has cautioned members of the public to ensure that EFL authorisation is sought prior to erecting any scaffolding structures or sheds.
13 Nov 2019 11:52
Two Dead From Electrocution

A five-year-old child from Nakasi is dead after he was electrocuted on Monday, November 11, and a few weeks earlier a Year 10 student met the same fate in a separate incident.

Energy Fiji Limited chief executive Hasmukh Patel said the child was an unfortunate victim of electrocution.

In its preliminary investigation, EFL established the child was playing in the compound when his foot came into contact with an iron pipe which was part of a temporary shed which had been installed for a family function.

“The iron pipe, which formed part of the scaffolding, had become electrified when one of the corrugated iron sheets, atop the unsecured roof of the temporary shed was blown away by strong winds,” Mr Patel said.

“This had come into contact with the live EFL 415 volts electric power line, causing the entire shed to be electrified.”

The Year 10 student from Suva died as a result of touching a faulty extension cord connected to a washing machine.

EFL has cautioned members of the public to ensure that EFL authorisation is sought prior to erecting any scaffolding structures or sheds.

Mr Patel said statutory clearances from EFL power lines have to be adhered to when erecting such structures, either temporary or permanent to ensure safety for all at all times.

“If you are unsure about these clearances then please contact EFL,” he said.

Edited by Susana Tuilau

Feedbackshalveen.chand@fijisun.com.fj

Fijisun E-edition
Tanoa Waterfront Lautoka Fiji
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
Fiji Sun Instagram
Fiji Plus
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
error: