Bus Stoning Furore

The Deans Cup final this Saturday will be held at Churchill Park in Lautoka. MBHS and SGS will vie for U-18 Deans trophy.
04 Oct 2022 10:42
Bus Stoning Furore

The stoning of two buses, which carried teams playing in the Deans semi-finals tournament, has prompted a school head to write to organisers on safety protocols for students and supporters.

It is understood that the two school buses each carried Marist Brothers High School (MBHS) and Suva Grammar School (SGS) teams and supporters.

The buses were returning from the Deans semi-final venue at Prince Charles Park in Nadi when the two separate incidents occurred along Kalokolevu Village outside Lami.


The stoning resulted in two students being injured – one from MBHS, the other from SGS. It is understood the students were taken to hospital and treated for minor injuries.

Police Chief Operations Officer ACP Abdul Khan said two youths aged 15 and 17 years old were questioned by officers at the Lami Police

Station and released as investigations continue.

The Deans Cup final this Saturday will be held at Churchill Park in Lautoka. MBHS and SGS will vie for U-18 Deans trophy.


‘We are concerned’

MBHS principal, Asish Dayal, said: “We are concerned for student’s safety who will be travelling down to the west for the Deans over the weekend.”

“It is the responsibility of the Fiji Secondary School Rugby Union to ensure the safety of students, parents, teachers and supporters travelling down to the west for the Deans.

“Buses carrying students of Marist Brothers High School were not the only ones that were stoned on Saturday.”

Suva Grammar School assistant principal, Emosi Kuli, said: “Sorry, we are not going to speak to the media. We are having our meeting.”

“We will need to relook into it before we ascertain our possible position into this matter.”


What Union Says

But the Fiji Secondary School Rugby Union president, Jone Kanalagi, said that they were not aware of the incidents and that it did not have a safety protocol in place.

“You know that is a genuine concern from the parents and principals,” he said.

“I can confirm to you that I have not received any reports from the two schools regarding the stoning incident.

“We do not have any safety protocols for students travelling to venues where rugby matches are being held because our focus will be on the game as well.”

The Deans final was moved this year moved to the West. Mr Kanalagi said when they received confirmation in April from the Ministry of Education, they tried to book the stadium twice.

However, the Fiji Football Association had already booked the stadium for the Inter-District Championship.


‘Forgive us’

Meanwhile, Kalokalolevu Village headman Leone Koroi Salili, sought forgiveness to schools, parents, teachers and supporters.

Mr Salisali said the two men who allegedly stoned the buses were not from the village.

He said their actions had tarnished the image of the village.

After hearing of the incident, he took the brave step and lodged a report himself.

“I had asked them (Police) to come to the village to apprehend the two men who (allegedly) stoned the two buses on Saturday.”


Story By: Nacanieli Tuilevuka


Fijisun Ad Space

Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.

By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.