NATION | NEWS

Police Quell Youth Feud

“I have directed the task force to investigate in particular those who continue to instigate the attacks and round up investigations into past and recent attacks, investigate the ownership of the property of interest and look into unexplained wealth of those residing at the said property,” Brigadier-General Qiliho said.
05 Oct 2022 14:50
Police Quell Youth Feud
The youths suspected in the alleged attack in Flagstaff rounded up in the Lomaiviti Rugby Hall on October 4, 2022. Photo: Jeremiah Ligairi

More than 100 Police officers were deployed last night to manage and contain 57 youths of Raiwai.

The youths allegedly mobilised for revenge actions on the Vitivou group in Flagstaff, Suva.

The alleged incident happened around 6.30pm. The Police cordoned off the Vitivou residence.

Commissioner of Police, Brigadier-General Sitiveni Qiliho said through the Incident Management Task Force Team, which was set up yesterday, that Police received information of the youths of Raiwai who were allegedly mobilised and were marching towards Flagstaff to the Vitivou residents.

He said Police had managed to quell the youths and advised the occupants of Vitivou at Flagstaff to relocate for their own safety.

 

He said the Incident Management Team would remain operational until Police could resolve the issues.

Brigadier-General Qiliho said Police were able to quell the alleged incidents and immediately searched other avenues to use through community leaders to speak to the youths.

He said part of it was also advising those that were at Vitivou to vacate the place and move out for their own safety.

He said as the result of the activation of the Incident Management Centre and early warnings that were given out to the Police, the Force was quickly able to deploy over 100 Police officers to the site.

The Police Commissioner also said 57 youths from Raiwai had been returned to Raiwai and Police met with the Lomaiviti Rugby Club president and the Talatala Qase from Raiwai to help tone down the situation.

 

Earlier in the day, a statement issued by the Police Commissioner said the team had been set up to investigate the occupants of a home located in Flagstaff who were alleged to have been instigators of violent attacks against youths from Raiwai.

“I have directed the task force to investigate in particular those who continue to instigate the attacks and round up investigations into past and recent attacks, investigate the ownership of the property of interest and look into unexplained wealth of those residing at the said property,” Brigadier-General Qiliho said.

He said four men remained in custody in relation to the alleged abduction and attacks on two youths over the weekend.

 

Story by: ashna.kumar@fijisun.com.fj



Fijisun Ad Space


Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.


By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.


Subscribe-to-Newspaper