FIJI NEWS

Stove explosion burns Nadawa home

By NAVNEET NARAYAN and FONUA TALEI Preliminary reports indicated that a kerosene stove explosion set fire to a house at Lot 7 Dadakulaci Road, in Nadawa early yesterday morning. The
15 Oct 2012 08:55

Firefighters work hard to put out the last remaining flames on the burnt house. These are the remains of the flat at lot 7 Dadakulaci Road, Nadawa, yesterday morning. Photo: NAVNEET NARAYAN

By NAVNEET NARAYAN and FONUA TALEI

Preliminary reports indicated that a kerosene stove explosion set fire to a house at Lot 7 Dadakulaci Road, in Nadawa early yesterday morning.
The fire started from the kitchen where the kerosene stove was.
According to Mereoni Tavainavesi, one of the tenants, the family had been sleeping when the stove exploded at around 7am.
She said “The kerosene stove just blew up since it was full.”
The mother of three quickly rushed out with her children and husband as the fire engulfed the house within seconds.
While the family survived without any injuries a neighbour was burned while helping the family to get out.
Mrs Tavainavesi and neighbour, Naliva Saukuru said that they were shocked and could not stop shaking after the horrific experience.
Another neighbour, Mohammad Muneef helped put out the fire so that other close-by houses would not catch fire.
“I tried to save the next door houses since it was impossible to save the burning house.  Together with other neighbours we tried to put out the fire with a hose pipe. Damage had been made to the neighbouring houses – fascia boards and plastic gutterings had burned and melted away,” Mr Muneef said.
National Fire Authority chief executive officer John O’Connor said, “These kinds of fires could be avoided if we take extra precautionary measures. I plead to the public to be careful, especially as we are approaching Diwali. Such a loss has drastic impact on the members of the family.”
Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro confirmed the fire started when a kerosene stove exploded.
She said the house, belonging to a 54-year old, had three separate flats.
“The fire is believed to have started from one of the three flats when the kerosene stove exploded. The cost of damage is yet to be estimated and investigation continues,” Ms Naisoro said.
“People are urged to be more careful with cooking appliances.”



5SQRS Clearance


Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper