NATION

WAF To Monitor Daily

The Water Authority of Fiji (WAF) will be monitoring the water supply and effect of the prolonged dry spell daily. WAF chief executive officer (CEO) Opetaia Ravai said the situation
22 Sep 2014 08:30
WAF To Monitor Daily
Flying Fijians at the ANZ National Stadium in Suva

The Water Authority of Fiji (WAF) will be monitoring the water supply and effect of the prolonged dry spell daily.

WAF chief executive officer (CEO) Opetaia Ravai said the situation was extremely flexible according to the changing conditions.

“We will continue to update our customers on any decisions we make that could affect them,” he said.

Mr Ravai said all of Fiji was facing this drought that meteorologists are predicting would last through until January next year.

“We know that it will be increasingly challenging as the next few months unfold and that we will be continually reviewing all areas where water is used; household, recreational, industrial, in fact, if the drought worsens we will have to look at other ways to conserve this precious resource, water.”

He said engineers had managed to increase pressure that has allowed WAF to resume its schedule of alternate water delivery that was disrupted on Friday night because of a significant drop in water level at the catchment areas.

Mr Ravai said 65 per cent of the 25,000 people from 5100 homes in selected areas in Suva were receiving water through their taps until 10pm last night.  Carted water, he said, was being delivered to the remaining 35 per cent.

Those households designated for alternate water delivery are the Lami/Delainavesi and Veisari/Togalevu area.

He said on the days that they did not receive water from the taps they would receive from water carts.

Mr Ravai also said the ongoing dry spell had made it difficult to predict how long the tap water in these areas would last.

“Suva is served by a number of water catchment areas; each is supplied primarily by rivers and that is the problem.”

With this drought, he said some rivers continued to flow abundantly while others were providing much less water than usual to these catchment areas and that was affecting those areas listed in the attachment.

Meanwhile in the North, Acting Commissioner Alipate Bolalevu yesterday confirmed that they were carting water to all places affected by the long dry spell. He said farmers were also affected.

Also today relevant stakeholders from the agricultural sector and essential service providers will meet at Commissioner Western’s office in Lautoka to discuss contingency plans for the long dry spell.

Acting Commissioner Western, Luke Moroivalu said the meeting would host discussions primarily on the impact of the prolonged dry spell and put in place strategies.

Feedback:  maikab@fijisun.com.fj

 

Fijisun E-edition
Advertise with fijisun
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
Fiji Sun Instagram
Fiji Plus
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
error: