NATION

Boy, 9, and Uncle Suffer Burns

A nine-year-old boy was admitted at the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit after sustaining severe burns from a house fire in Raiwai, Suva, yesterday Taione Biudole and his uncle, Mosese Guyaco,
03 Oct 2014 10:52
Boy, 9, and Uncle Suffer Burns

A nine-year-old boy was admitted at the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit after sustaining severe burns from a house fire in Raiwai, Suva, yesterday
Taione Biudole and his uncle, Mosese Guyaco, 27, were admitted at the Burns Unit.
The fire started at about 5.30 yesterday morning at Raj Motilal Street in Rawai. The double-storey house belonged to a 57-year-old retired civil servant, Taione Guyaco. They have been living in the house for the past 30 years.
The two burn victims were sleeping in separate rooms when the fire started from Taione’s bedroom. Mosese suffered burns when he tried to rescue his nephew.
Mr Guyaco said: “I think that the fire could have been caused by mosquitoe coils.”
He has not lost hope and strongly believes nothing will happen to his son and nephew. He said: “I know my Lord is alive and nothing is impossible, everything will be alright.”
The fire destroyed the top floor, and all belongings were completely burnt.
The National Fire Authority crew made it in time to save the bottom floor. At the time of the fire some people risked their lives to rescue young Taione and Mosese and helped put out the fire.
Meresiana Nasau, aunty and grandmother of the victims said: “I heard my grandson yelling and I got a shock when I saw the fire, I rushed to get him out of there and just before we left a man from Beqa touched my grandson and I took them down to the CWM Hospital.”
There has never been a fire in the neighbourhood. It took a toll on the residents and they were in shock and at first could not understand what had happened.
Cegu Tuwai who has been a neighbour for the past 20 years said: “I woke up because the I heard people yelling and I thought that someone had drunk alcohol and climbed on the roof – when I looked outside the window I got a shock of my life to see the fire, I was so scared.”
Neighbouring flats were spared but only had smoke entering the rooms.
Ms Nasau said: “We are waiting for the Police Department and the NFA to clear out the house and we will move back in.”
Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro said: “At this early stage of the investigation it is believed the fire could have started from a mosquito coil however investigation continues.”
Ms Naisoro has also pleaded with people to be cautious of fire hazards in homes and take safety measures to avoid such incidents from occurring.
Ministry of Health media liaison officer Evelyn Mani has confirmed that both victims are admitted at the CWM Hospital.
Mosese is admitted in the Burns Unit while young Taione is in the PICU.
Both are in critical conditions and are undergoing treatment.
Feedback:  rachael.nath@fijisun.com.fj

Fiji Sun Instagram
Fiji Plus
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
error: