NEWS

MPs Firm Got Waiver

An investment company of a sitting Member of Parliament is named in an ongoing corruption case brought to court by the Fiji Independent Commission Against Corruption (FICAC). National Federation Party’s
25 Nov 2014 09:40
MPs Firm Got Waiver
Prem Singh. Photo: Jona Konataci

An investment company of a sitting Member of Parliament is named in an ongoing corruption case brought to court by the Fiji Independent Commission Against Corruption (FICAC).

National Federation Party’s Prem Singh is the director and majority shareholder of Prajay Investments Limited.

The company allegedly received waiver on rates arrears of $86,792.94 by the former Nadi special administrator Aisea Tuidraki in 2009.

Tuidraki now faces a charge of abuse of office for allegedly approving this waiver without the approval of Minister for Local Government.

Prajay Investments Limited was formed in 2005 and according to documents sighted following a company search, it last filed annual returns in 2006.

When contacted last night, Mr Singh confirmed he was the director of the company.

He said: “I am unaware of the company name coming up in FICAC investigation. As far as the waiver is concerned, the company applied for it and got it. Everything else is between the state and the (town) council.”

He did not wish to comment further on this matter.

Mr Singh holds 51 per cent of shares in the company. The other 49 per cent of shares is held by a Pritika Singh.

There are four directors listed for the company, Mr Singh, Pritika Singh, Phul Kuar and Anita Lal.

Other companies are also believed under the radar for similar but unrelated alleged rate waivers.

Feedback:  jyotip@fijisun.com.fj

 



5square-mothersday


Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.


By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.


Covid 19 - SPC
Total
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper