NATION

Lucky To Be Alive

A 52-year-old man of Kalabu, Nasinu, is lucky to be alive after his double-storey home was destroyed by fire on Monday night. Isikeli Raula said he was woken up at
13 May 2015 10:48
Lucky To Be Alive
Isikeli Raula, 52, of Kalabu, Nasinu lost all his belongings in a fire on Monday night. Photo: Ronald Kumar

A 52-year-old man of Kalabu, Nasinu, is lucky to be alive after his double-storey home was destroyed by fire on Monday night.

Isikeli Raula said he was woken up at about 11pm by the heat coming from the ground floor of his house.

“I went to bed around 9pm and was awoken by the heat. I stood up to look for the door, but it was too difficult to see because the room was filled with black smoke. My body was shaking because I was shocked to see my house on fire,” Mr Raula said.

He claims the home cost $18,000 and belongings were worth $12,000.

Mr Raula lives with his 27-year-old son, Malakai Qio.

He claimed his son lit a candle for the night because there was no electricity supply in their home.

Oripa Naicamaki, a neighbour who witnessed the fire, said they alerted Mr Qio who was at a neighbour’s home.

“Malakai was at another relative’s home when we alerted him.

“He then remembered that he had lit a candle and left it burning unattended in his room,” Ms Naicamaki said.

The National Fire Authority is conducting investigation.

Feedback: luisa.qiolevu@fijisun.com.fj

 



Five Square diwali dhamaka 2021


Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.


By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.


Tower Insurance
FNPF
Covid 19 - SPC
Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper