NEWS

Police Uniform Purchase Probe

The purchase of Police uniforms has come under scrutiny. An internal investigation team has uplifted 175 vouchers from the Police accounts office, related to the  purchase of the  uniforms from
16 Jul 2015 09:17
Police Uniform Purchase Probe

The purchase of Police uniforms has come under scrutiny.

An internal investigation team has uplifted 175 vouchers from the Police accounts office, related to the  purchase of the  uniforms from Lotus Garments allegedly without the following of proper tender process.

This was revealed by Acting Commissioner of Police, Isikeli Vuniwaqa to the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) following questions raised by the chairperson, Biman Prasad about continuing investigations.

Mr Vuniwaqa said: “Those vouchers were uplifted from year 2011 and 2012 and I can say that the investigation on this issue is progressing.”

The Committee highlighted in the 2010, 2011 and 2012  Auditor-General’s Report that the Force continued to purchase footwear and uniforms from Lotus Garments and Deluxe Footwear even though they were under investigation from year 2008 and 2009.

The Acting Police Commissioner responded saying that they no longer contracted the two companies.

Mr Vuniwaqa also highlighted that they had two sources of vehicles and about 60 per cent of the Police Force vehicles were being leased while the other 40 per cent was owned by the force.

He said that leased vehicles were not being replaced once it was taken for maintenance work and this was their biggest challenge.

PAC chairperson  Biman Prasad that it was imperative for the Force not to have any audit issues because the Committee would be dependent on them for assistance.

 

Feedback:  litia.cava@fijisun.com.fj

 

Fijisun E-edition
Tanoa Waterfront Lautoka Fiji
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
Fiji Sun Instagram
Fiji Plus
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
error: