Deans Finalists Decided

It will be the Marist  Brothers High School ‘Dream Team’ against the ‘Mighty Herons’ of Ratu Kadavulevu in the final of the Coke Zero Deans Under-18 final on Saturday at
09 Aug 2015 11:34
Deans Finalists Decided
Ratu Navula College’s Peniame Naresia scores against RKS in their Coke Zero Deans U18 semifinal in Ba yesterday. Photo: Waisea Nasokia

It will be the Marist  Brothers High School ‘Dream Team’ against the ‘Mighty Herons’ of Ratu Kadavulevu in the final of the Coke Zero Deans Under-18 final on Saturday at the ANZ Stadium, Suva.

What happened: Defending champion Lelean Memorial School didn’t only surrendered a first half lead but also the Deans Trophy yesterday.

This was after the team lost 13-20 to an impressive MBHS outfit while RKS overcame Ratu Navula 17-10 in front of a good crowd at Govind Park in Ba yesterday

The Marist U18 ‘Dream Team’ after an impressive performance against QVS in the quarterfinal were made to work hard.

They trailed 13-8 at the halftime but a massive fightback saw them grind out a hard fought victory.

Marist were dominant in the opening minutes of the game and enjoyed majority of the possession as they constantly pinned Lelean inside their 22metres.

But it was Lelean that registered the fist point through a penalty but Marist replied with a try which was not converted.

Lelean scored a try  which was converted to push them to a 10-5 lead.

Lelean’s winger Eneriko Taukei and Marist fullback Sakiusa Waqa traded penalties with Lelean leading 13-8 at halftime.

Marist made some headway at the restart with hooker Lionel Monua showing pace down the left touchline to score a try. Waqa failed to nail the conversion as Marist took the lead 15-13.

Hardworking number eight William Naruhn proved to be a handful as he controlled the game with excellent work and scored to take them further 20-13.

A nasty injury to Marist inside centre Rusiate Vodo and yellow card for Monua took the intensity of the game to a new level with 10 minutes remaining.

But the Red Fire brigade hold on tight to book their spot in the final.

Comment: Marist coach Waisake Kalivetau said, “We been moulding these boys for the last five years and its sweet to come this far. Our tight five played well and we are looking forward to the final with few areas to work on. Lelean brings the best of us today and we thank them for the good game.”

Lelean’s captain Tuivaturogo Mainabaubau said, “It was tough match. As defending champ we gave our all but that was not enough. Marist dominated in the forwards game. We tried to come back but tough luck.”


RKS 17 – 10 Ratu Navula

Ratu Kadavulevu overcame Ratu Navula 17-10 in the first semifinal of the U18 grade.

Constant handling errors and numerous turnovers at breakdown on a slippery soccer pitch with very noisy Delanakaikai supporters on both grandstands cost Ratu Navula dearly.

RKS fullback Nailati Ukalele was the star for the Tailevu side nailing four penalties in the first half and was steady in defence with long range kicks.

The first-half was a kicking contest between Ukalele and Ratu Navula fullback Joape Dreu as neither side were able to score a try.

Half time: RKS 12 -0 Ratu Navula.

Ratu Navula’s best player of the day and open side flanker Peniame Naresia scored the first try of the match Kelepi Komailevuka failed to add the much needed two points.

RKS replied with an unconverted try to lock forward Serupepeli Uru before they go on a defensive mode as Ratu Navula persistently raid their line.

Replacement lock forward Epeli Misiroi squeeze over in the corner for Ratu Navula’s second try to close the gap but the conversion by Komailevuka was off the mark.

Some sloppy tackle created a couple of scoring opportunities for Ratu Navula  in the later stage of the game but it was too little too late.

Comments: RKS captain Pio Meya said, “It was a tough match and we came well prepared for Ratu Navula. We knew that Ratu Navula won’t be easy especially playing in the western side. We managed to keep our cool despite the two yellow cards.”

Ratu Navula captain Apisalome Nabalewa said, “They gave their all. We came with a positive mind but we started late and by the time we found our rhythm it was too late.”




5SQRS Clearance

Fijisun E-edition
Advertise with fijisun
Fiji Sun Instagram