NEWS

Third Fijian Hurt In Sinai

A Fijian serving in the Multinational Force and Observers  in Sinai was shot and injured as militants attacked on Friday. Republic of Fiji Military Forces Land Force Commander Colonel Sitiveni
13 Sep 2015 10:49
Third Fijian Hurt In Sinai
A third Fijian Peacekeeper shot as positions come under fire from militants in the rugged terrain of Sinai.

A Fijian serving in the Multinational Force and Observers  in Sinai was shot and injured as militants attacked on Friday.

Republic of Fiji Military Forces Land Force Commander Colonel Sitiveni Qiliho said Private Kiniviliame Cabemailau was undergoing surgery at an Israeli hospital to remove a bullet from his body. But the injury was not life threatening, Colonel Qiliho said.

If everything went well, he should be discharged in the next 48 hours.

Private Cabemailau is the third Fijian injured in a week as clashes escalate between the Egyptian military and rebels affiliated to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) group.

The other two Fijians hurt last week by a roadside explosive device were Corporal Rupeni Masibalavu and Abel Seaman Akariva Sigawale. They have been discharged from an Israeli Hospital and have returned to their Sinai base.

In the latest hostilities, four Egyptian soldiers, a woman and child have been killed, according to Aljazeera news service.

Colonel Qiliho said Private Cabemailau was on duty when the incident happened at 6.30pm on Friday (Fijian time)

He said that the North camp – where many of the Fijian soldiers were situated – came under fire from militants also engaged with Egyptian forces.

“The camp received indirect fire in the form of mortars and small arms impacting the vicinity of the camp.

“Our soldiers went to their gun pits or fighting positions and while manning one of those positions one of our soldiers was shot in the abdomen as a result of stray bullets that were coming into camp. He was then evacuated to medical facilities in Israel,” he said.

“We are confident with the action taken by the Multinational Force and Observers, the Force Commander and his team on the ground in regards to the posture taken by the Multinational Force and Observers and also the measures that they put in place to mitigate the threat against our personnel and others serving with them.

“We are also confident in the actions of the Battalion Commander Lieutenant Colonel Vatuwiri. We spoke by phone, and we have constantly been in contact through emails and he said that the moral of other personnel remains high.

“The two that were injured in the improvised explosive device or road side bomb last week are back with them in Sinai; they are happy, jovial and are recuperating well.

“All our troops are okay even though the situation in Sinai remains fluid as witnessed in the last 24 hours.”

Feedback:  litia.cava@fijisun.com.fj

 

 

Fiji Sun Instagram
Fiji Plus
Subscribe-to-Newspaper