NEWS

Family Survive Blaze, Lose Home, Everything

A house fire in Toga Place, Nabua, Suva, has left a family of eight contemplating how to start rebuilding on what they have lost. The family, with only the clothes
10 Nov 2015 10:30
Family Survive Blaze, Lose Home, Everything
Sukanaivalu Road resident Tuliana Bulivou with her children Tuliana Divatiri (in mums arm) and Aplonia Damudamu stands in front of the remains of the house after it was gutted to grounds early yesterday morning.

A house fire in Toga Place, Nabua, Suva, has left a family of eight contemplating how to start rebuilding on what they have lost.
The family, with only the clothes on their back, lost everything in the early morning fire yesterday and they have one sole breadwinner in the family – Taniasi Soko.
Mr Soko, who is a machinist at a manufacturing company in Suva, is the father of six children. He had alerted the family when smoke from the fire almost choked him. The entire family survived.
The incident has left the family homeless and Mr Soko’s wife, Tuliana Bulivou, said she and her family did not know where to start from now.
“We couldn’t save anything. The house was also old so the fire had spread very fast,” she said.
“My husband woke up suddenly when he almost choked from the smoke. He came out and saw the room in flames so he shouted loudly to wake us up and all we could do was get all our children outside as quickly as we could.
“My daughters always slept in their room, but last night they just slept with me in the sitting room while my husband and other two daughters slept in another room.”
Mrs Bulivou claims the fire started from one of the bedrooms.
The estimated cost of damage is between $20,000 and $30,000.
The Fiji Police Force believes the fire may have started from a lit mosquito coil, however this would be confirmed once their investigations were complete.
“We are once again pleading with everyone to be cautious about potential fire hazards in their homes,” Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro said.
“Proper containment of such materials is important as anything can happen at night, especially when we are asleep. This cannot be stressed enough and it is vital that people adopt a change of mindset about fire safety practices if we are to prevent further loss of life and property.”

Fijisun E-edition
Advertise with fijisun
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
Fiji Sun Instagram
Fiji Plus
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
error: