SPORTS

Big Break For Shelvin Today

  It will be a dream come true for Korovuto College teacher Shelvin Chand as he makes a debut for the Vodafone Futsal national team in the Oceania Football Confederation
08 Feb 2016 10:36
Big Break For Shelvin Today
Prashant Prasad (left), and Shelvin Chand.

 

It will be a dream come true for Korovuto College teacher Shelvin Chand as he makes a debut for the Vodafone Futsal national team in the Oceania Football Confederation (OFC) Futsal Championship.

It will be a testament to the 25-year-old’s hard work when the team plays their first game against New Caledonia at 3pm today.

“It has been really awesome to be included in this squad because I have always wanted to wear the national jumper,” Chand said.

“I proved myself that I deserve a place on this team and I’ve worked really hard for it, this is the reward.”

Chand was not included in the team which toured New Zealand due to an ankle injury.

“The injury ruled me out for eight weeks,” he said.

“It was a shame that I couldn’t be a part of the team to go on that New Zealand tour because that would have been a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

“But I am happy that I took those eight weeks to recover.”

With Fiji being the underdog, the young players will be going out to gain more experience from teams who live and breathe futsal, said 22-year-old Prashant Prasad.

“All the boys in the team are young and we have bond closer together,” Prasad said.

“It will be a big challenge for us and it is not going to be easy. We put in 80 per cent of the work and the remaining 20 per cent will be done during the tournament.

“So we cannot wait, we are ready and we just want to go out there and learn more, winning a few games will be a bonus for us.”

Fixtures today

3pm Fiji-New Caledonia; 5.30 New Zealand- Vanuatu; 8 Solomon Islands-Tahiti.

Edited by Osea Bola

Feedback: justine.mannan@fijisun.com.fj

Fijisun E-edition
Tanoa Plaza Hotel Suva
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
Fiji Sun Instagram
Fiji Plus
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
error: