NEWS

Family Loses House In Fire

A  Suva family is homeless after their home was destroyed in a fire on Friday night. The incident happened at about 10pm at Dokanaisuva Settlement in Tacirua. Family members were
14 Feb 2016 12:27
Family Loses House In Fire
Fire completely destroyed two bedroom house at Dokaisuva Settlement in Tacirua on Friday night. Photo: Shahani Mala.

A  Suva family is homeless after their home was destroyed in a fire on Friday night.

The incident happened at about 10pm at Dokanaisuva Settlement in Tacirua.

Family members were not at home when the incident happened.

Home owner Inia Nacina, 48, admitted he forgot to put out a lit candle they were using before leaving home to visit a relative.

“Luckily we were not at home during the time of the incident,” he said.

“When I left my house, I forget to put out the candle and it might have fell and caused the fire.”

Mr Nacina said they had been using candles after their electricity supply was disconnected last Thursday because of their unpaid power bill.

Mr Nacina and some of his workmates had a religious meeting at his home.

His wife and children were at their neighbour’s residence.

“About 9.45pm I left with my colleagues. I then visited my aunty whose house was not far from home.

“Between 10 to 10:15pm, I heard people yelling “fire, fire,” he said.

Mr Nacina said things happened so quickly that by the time he reached his timber and corrugated iron house, it was engulfed in flames.

Mr Nacina, his wife and their 10-year-old son and 11 months daughter had been living in the settlement for 10 years.

National Fire Authority chief fire officer Qionilau Moceitai confirmed that they put out the fire.

Investigations continue.

 

Edited by Maikeli Seru

Feedback:  shratikan@fijisun.com.fj



Fijisun Ad Space


Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.


By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.


Subscribe-to-Newspaper