NEWS

Probe Into Baby’s Death

  The Ministry of Health and Medical Services is now conducting an internal investigation over the death of a month-old baby at the Lautoka Hospital on Monday. The premature baby’s
19 Feb 2016 10:30
Probe Into Baby’s Death
Nanise Takeiwai (51) with her grandson's photo at her residence in Lomolomo Village, Lautoka yesterday. Photo: Kathrin Krishna

 

The Ministry of Health and Medical Services is now conducting an internal investigation over the death of a month-old baby at the Lautoka Hospital on Monday.

The premature baby’s family say he was sent home with his mother because of a shortage of beds.

They say he died while still waiting to be seen after being brought back to the hospital when he developed a fever. Baby Josaia Te-Maunga was born prematurely and underweight and was kept in the hospital for three weeks before being discharged.

His grandmother Nanise Takeiwai, 51, of Lomolomo Village, Lautoka, claimed baby Josaia, her first grandson, died in his mother’s arms while waiting to be treated.

“My daughter, Loata Tinaidete, gave birth to a beautiful baby boy last month and we named him Josaia Te-Maunga.

“Because the baby was premature and underweight, he was kept in the hospital for three weeks,” Ms Takeiwai said.

“The staff at Lautoka Maternity Ward had instructed my daughter that she would be discharged from the hospital early as there were not enough hospital beds for patients.”

Ms Takeiwai said her daughter was in the hospital with baby Josaia for three weeks.

She said her daughter, upon discharge, was instructed by medical personnel to bring baby Josaia to the hospital if he got sick.

On Sunday, she said her grandson developed a fever and was unable to move properly.

“Early Monday morning, my son-in-law Navitalai Bogi, (23), and my daughter took my grandchild to the maternity ward for check-up as promised by the staff before he was discharged.”

She claimed they were not attended to immediately, but were advised to wait as an outpatient.

“My daughter, with her husband then had to take a number which was 15. While waiting for the number to be called out, my daughter lost her firstborn in her arms and the number was called out at around 1pm.”

She is calling on the ministry to improve its  service.

Assistant Minister for Health Veena Bhatnaagar, during her tour of the hospital yesterday, said the ministry had not received any formal complaint.

“The matter is under internal investigation as pictures and information was seen on social media Facebook page and the ministry will look into the matter once the maternity ward forwards an update,” Ms Bhatnaagar said.

Baby Josaia will be buried tomorrow at Sabeto Village.

Edited by Maikeli Seru.

Feedback: kathrin.krishna@fijisun.com.fj

Fijisun E-edition
Total Excellium
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper