NEWS

$120m Damage To Agriculture Sector

The estimated cost of damage on the agriculture sector caused by Tropical Cyclone Winston is estimated at $120.2 million, says National Disaster Management Office (NDMO) director, Akapusi Tuifagalele. “The estimated
03 Mar 2016 13:24
$120m Damage To Agriculture Sector
National Disaster Management Office (NDMO) director, Akapusi Tuifagalele

The estimated cost of damage on the agriculture sector caused by Tropical Cyclone Winston is estimated at $120.2 million, says National Disaster Management Office (NDMO) director, Akapusi Tuifagalele.

“The estimated crop damage is $72.12 million while the livestock damage is estimated to be $48.08 million,” Mr Tuifagalele said.

“The Ministry of Agriculture is hoping to launch a programme on provision of seeds, planting materials and livestock feeds.”

He said the programme, which started last month, would continue  this month.

It would help farmers replant after loss of crops and livestock during Tropical Cyclone Winston.

“The distribution of seeds has gone to various areas like Tailevu North, Naitasiri, Ra, Saivou and Nalawa and shipment to Koro Island,” he said.

Mr Tuifagalele said the seeds would be supplied to Vanuabalavu, Bua, Macuata and the Lomaiviti Group.

 

Evacuation centres

There are still 54,707 people sheltering in 960 evacuation centres around the country.

Mr Tuifagalele said there were 12,090 evacuees in the Central Division, 30,663 evacuees in the West, 8892 evacuees in the Eastern Division and 3062 evacuees in the North.

Ninety-five of the evacuation centres are schools.

 

Education

The estimated cost of damage to the education sector is now $45.98m.

Two-hundred and sixty-five schools were affected by Tropical Cyclone Winston.

Sixty-three school buildings were destroyed: Eastern Division – 29,

West-  18, North – 10, Central Division – 6.

A total of 188 schools remain closed where 38 in Eastern Division, 119 in the West, 15 in the North and 16 in  the Central Division.

 

Health

The damage to health and medical facilities is estimated to be $4.6m. This number is expected to increase.

The death toll still stands at 43.

NDMO has distributed rations to about 80 per cent of the areas affected by the cyclone while, the other 20 per cent of areas will be covered by the end of the week or earlier next week, Mr Tuifagalele said.

 

 

Edited by Maikeli Seru

Feedback:  shahani.mala@fijisun.com.fj

Fijisun E-edition
Tanoa Waterfront Lautoka Fiji
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
Fiji Sun Instagram
Fiji Plus
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
error: