Fijian In New Zealand Killed Partner And Her Daughter Then Buried Their Bodies

A Fijian living in Auckland who killed his ex-partner and her three-year-old daughter and buried their bodies under a bridge has been found guilty of their murders. After four-and-a-half hours of
15 May 2016 11:36
Fijian In New Zealand Killed Partner And Her Daughter Then Buried Their Bodies
1.Juwairiyah Kalim - known as Jojo (left) - and a photo of her and her mother Pakeeza Faizal, also known as Mubarak Yusuf. Photo: NZ Police 2.Kamal Reddy at the High Court in Auckland. Photo: TVNZ

A Fijian living in Auckland who killed his ex-partner and her three-year-old daughter and buried their bodies under a bridge has been found guilty of their murders.

After four-and-a-half hours of deliberation, a jury at Auckland High Court found Kamal Reddy guilty of murdering Pakeeza Yusuf and her daughter, Juwairiyah “Jojo” Kalim.

Reddy, 43, was unflinching as the verdicts were read out. He will be sentenced next month. Yusuf was also from Fiji.

Juwairiyah’s father, Mohammed Faizal, said he had been “waiting for this day for a long time.

“I am glad they found him guilty, he should be put away for a long time.”

It had been a long and stressful wait to find out how and why his daughter was killed, he said.

“I can put this behind me finally, now I know what happened. A long time I have been waiting for this day. What comes next I don’t know, I’ll just have to wait and see – it’s pretty daunting.”

Justice Raynor Asher told the jurors: “This has been an ordeal for you. Bear that in mind and look after yourselves over the next few days.”

Juwairiyah and her mother were found buried under the Takapuna overbridge in Auckland’s North Shore in October 2014 but the Crown said they were killed at the end of 2006 or early 2007.

Reddy claimed the confession was a sham and it was only made under intense pressure from Police who targeted him in an extensive investigation. He told the court the real killer was a part-Indian man called James, who was in a relationship with Ms Yusuf at the time.

The jury rejected that explanation, preferring the one Reddy himself unwittingly made to undercover Police during a secretly-recorded interview in a Wellington apartment. He said he had strangled Ms Yusuf with the cord of an electrical iron, before smothering Jojo with a pillow.

“He wrapped [the cord] around her neck once and tightened it until she stopped breathing,”

Crown prosecutor Natalie Walker said. “There was likely to be minimal struggle, no noise and no blood.”

The Crown said Reddy killed the woman out of anger that she had made a scene in front of his family, jealousy that she may have been seeing someone else and resentment that he had paid a deposit for the Howick flat and was being shunned by Ms Yusuf.

He killed Jojo because she would have inevitably outed him as the killer, Ms Walker said.

After the murders, Reddy frantically drove around Bombay Hills south of Auckland, looking for a suitable area to dispose of them. When the search proved fruitless, he called his uncle Bal Naidu in the early hours of the morning and drove to his Papatoetoe address.

Mr Naidu told the court that Reddy admitted killing his girlfriend and her daughter and said they were under a blanket in the boot of his Subaru.

The pair drove to the North Shore spot where the bodies were found and Mr Naidu pointed out a couple of locations by the bridge that would be suitable. Twenty four hours later Reddy went back and dug for hours before dumping the victims side by side.

For more than seven years, the mother and daughter lay covered in stone and mud. Their disappearance was only noted by Police when Ms Yusuf’s mother made a missing person’s report in 2013.

Reddy came under the microscope after they discovered he had appeared in Manukau District Court in 2007 charged with threatening to kill Ms Yusuf and assaulting her ex-husband with a machete.

Bank data showed someone had been taking large cash sums from the victim’s account since her disappearance too but nothing conclusively pointed to the defendant.

It was only after undercover Police officers gained Reddy’s trust over the course of a six-month operation that they got the evidence they needed.

Outside court Detective Sergeant Stephen Nightingale made special mention of the work done by Crown prosecutors Natalie Walker and Luke Clancy.

He also praised the investigation team, several of whom were in court for the verdicts.

“It’s been a long road and I’m really proud of them,” he said.

Mr Nightingale also spoke on behalf of the victims’ family.

“Pakeeza was the eldest daughter in a family of five children. She was beautiful, caring and a wonderful mother to Juwairiyah,” he said.

“We’re extremely pleased this offender will now be held accountable for his terrible actions. We would never wish for anyone to go through what we have and are thankful our questions have finally been answered and can now begin to move forward with our lives.”

Ms Yusuf’s uncle Firoz Mohammed told the Herald: “Every day we have sat here for the three week trial and listened to everything they have said and today when they announced the verdict, I cried.

“The man who has done this is guilty and it gives us closure.”

He said Ms Yusuf’s mother and father had been in the court to hear the verdicts.

“We all just don’t really know what to say. This afternoon we will all get together and do a prayer for Pakeeza and Jojo to rest in peace because we know that justice has been done.”  

How Yusuf, Reddy Met In AUCKLAND

Pakeeza Yusuf and Kamal Reddy met in 2006.

Depending on which witness account you believed, the pair were either conducting an affair behind Ms Yusuf’s husband’s back, or they became romantically involved after meeting when Ms Yusuf and her family moved into Reddy’s Otahuhu house. Reddy said it was simply a relationship of convenience to satisfy his immigration requirements.

By her mother Mubarak Rojina Banu’s account, Ms Yusuf had no extracurricular hobbies or interests. She had no formal qualifications and had only completed school up to a fourth form level. She didn’t have a job, and she collected a solo parent’s benefit from the government. She had few, if any, friends. She had a daughter, Juwairiyah, who was three.

Reddy was older, a father of two children whose marriage had dissolved years earlier. He moved to New Zealand from Fiji in 2004 and worked for various south Auckland mechanics as a panel beater. Some of his family lived in New Zealand, but Reddy appeared to have few friends and he told the court he had a problem with alcohol.

“I was not very happy (about the relationship),” Ms Banu told the court. “I got the impression that he was not a very good person.”

She said Ms Yusuf was starting to realise that herself, her phone calls to her mother filled with complaints about his drinking, swearing, and violence.

The last time Ms Banu spoke to her daughter: “She repeated virtually everything she had said before – ‘he’s drinking alcohol and hitting me’.”

Ms Banu agreed she was unsympathetic.

She said: “I would tell her this was her choice, what can I say to you on this matter? Because I arranged your marriage to (ex-husband) Faizal. If you were still with Faizal I would have the  away, what can I do for you?”

It was the last time she spoke to her daughter.

She tried to call her several times afterward, to no avail. Reddy later related the mother and daughter relationship breakdown to undercover police officers.


Five Square diwali dhamaka 2021

Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.

By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.

Tower Insurance
Covid 19 - SPC
Fiji Sun Instagram