NEWS

Family Survives Home Blaze

A family at Vunilogologo settlement, outside Labasa Town, survived a blaze last Thursday, but it has left them homeless. 39-year-old grandmother, Ruci Lewakulati recalls that her husband, two children and
19 Jun 2016 11:01
Family Survives Home Blaze
Ruci Lewakulati with her four-year-old grand daughter Laisiana Railomu standing in front of their destroyed two-bedroom house at Vunilogologo Settlement. Photo: Shratika Naidu

A family at Vunilogologo settlement, outside Labasa Town, survived a blaze last Thursday, but it has left them homeless.

39-year-old grandmother, Ruci Lewakulati recalls that her husband, two children and sister-in-law were outside doing some work.

“Suddenly my sister-in-law saw smoke coming out from the two bedroom house,” Mrs Lewakulati said.

“Soon we realised that our four-year-old granddaughter, Laisiana Railomu was trapped inside the house. We all went inside the house looking for her for more than 10 minutes. Then my sister-in-law shouted that she saw Laisiana coming out of the house.

“Then we tried to save some materials and all we could save was a generator and chainsaw. My husband had been building our house which is some distance away from this burnt house. We had so many household items and had kept building materials.

“When I sit down and look at the house and think about the damage, I think we have lost about $20,000.”

She said on Friday young Laisiana had confessed that she was playing with a gas lighter and accidentally set fire to the mattress in one of the rooms.

“She became afraid when she saw the fire and then ran to hide under the settee,” Ms Lewakulati said.

Currently, the family is sharing a home with a close relative.

National Fire Authority chief fire officer Qionilau Moceitai said he has not received report from his fire officers yet.

Fiji Police spokesperson Inspector Josaia Weicavu confirmed the fire incident adding that no one was injured.

“However we wish to again reiterate that gas lighters and matchsticks are not toys to play with,” Inspector Weicavu said.

“Parents and guardians are again asked to practise fire safety at home at all times.”

 

Edited Naisa Koroi

Feedback:  shratikan@fijisun.com.fj



Fijisun Ad Space


Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.


By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.


Tower Insurance
Advertise here
Covid 19 - SPC
Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper