NEWS

QVS Old Boys Want More Indonesian Help

The Queen Victoria School Old Boys Association is in talks with the Indonesian Ambassador about the second phase of works to complete rebuilding of the school. President of QVSOB Association
28 Aug 2016 11:07
QVS Old Boys Want More Indonesian Help
Queen Victoria School in it’s final stage of reconstruction last week. Photo: Vilimoni Vaganalau

The Queen Victoria School Old Boys Association is in talks with the Indonesian Ambassador about the second phase of works to complete rebuilding of the school.

President of QVSOB Association Anasa Vocea said they had made the request to the Indonesian Ambassador Aidil Chandra Salim.

The Indonesian Defence Task Force team completed the Phase I of the repair work which included the QVS chapel, classrooms and two new double storey hostel buildings for the students.

“We have requested him if he can consider Phase II which will be reconstructing the QVS dining hall and also if they could build another two, double storey hostels,” Mr Vocea said.

“It may take up some more time for the approval to come across from the Ambassador, but we are hoping for a favourable response from him.”

Mr Vocea said the association was extremely pleased with the works constructed by the Indonesian military.

He said they had requested the Ministry of Education to put off the opening of the school on hold until 2017.

“The first phase took a couple of months of extreme works and we are requesting the ministry to put a hold on the school until the response comes from the Indonesian Ambassador for the Phase II reconstruction,” he said.

Mr Vocea said QVS students would come back to school.

“We are looking at accepting students back in January 2017. We were hoping for the existing students to come back in the third term of 2016 but there are still some works left to be done.

“We are insisting the bonafide students to ensure that their academic results are up to the standard of QVS,” Mr Vocea said.

The association together with the parents and guardians association and the school community provided lunch yesterday, for the Indonesian military as a show of appreciation for the great work they had done on rebuilding QVS.

On Friday, a farewell party for the Indonesian Defence Task Force was held at the school. It was led by the deputy commander of the Republic of Fiji Military Forces Brigadier-General Mohammed Aziz.

Senior military staff, navy and army personnel also attended the event.

The first batch of Indonesians will leave on tomorrow and the rest will leave on Tuesday.

Edited by Rusiate Mataika

Feedback:  ashna.kumar@fijisun.com.fj



Fijisun Ad Space


Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.


By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.


Fijisun E-edition
Advertise here
Fiji Sun I-Report
Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper