NATION

Brothers Lose Home In Fire

  Brothers Madhukar and Muneshwar Prasad could not hold back their tears as they watched their home, handed down from their grandfather, almost 80 years ago, lost in a fire
06 Oct 2016 11:00
Brothers Lose Home In Fire
Muneshwar Prasad (second from left), his wife Bijma Wati (left) and Madhukar Prasad and his wife Kirana Lata outside their burnt out home. Photo: Charles Chambers

 

Brothers Madhukar and Muneshwar Prasad could not hold back their tears as they watched their home, handed down from their grandfather, almost 80 years ago, lost in a fire yesterday.

Mr Madhukar, 51 and Mr Muneshwar, 56, were born and raised in the comforts of their eight bedroom home at Balenikula, Sabeto, outside Nadi.

They estimated the loss at $200,000 and also confirmed the house was not insured.

Both brothers were at work when they received phone calls that shattered their day.

The older brother’s wife, Bijma Wati, daughter Madhu, 32, and a young child were having a meal at around 11am when they noticed smoke coming from the front part of the house, which was rented to a relative.

There were claims by people at the scene that the fire could have started from a diya at the family prayer place, but this could not be confirmed.

Sabeto Village turaga ni koro (headman), Samula Naquto said he had just got off from a bus when he noticed the fire.

“A neighbour and I managed to get a 4×2 timber and smash the door and get the little child, who was crying, outside.”

Mr Naquto and some neighbours managed to save some household items before the house was fully engulfed.

The National Fire Authority (NFA) arrived but by that time most of the front part of the house was completely destroyed.

A NFA personnel at the scene said they could not comment as investigations had to be carried out.

Mr Madhukar said he was gutted, since their grandfather handed the house down to their father who then gave it to the two brothers.

Meanwhile, in Nailaga, Ba, a lean-to corrugated iron and timber structured house was destroyed by fire, leaving four people homeless.

At 1225hrs, Ba Fire Station received a fire emergency call and immediately responded to the fire call. Upon arrival at 1230hrs, the Fire Team saw the house fully engulfed in flames.

Edited by Caroline Ratucadra

 Feedback: charles.chambers@fijisun.com.fj

 

Fijisun E-edition
Advertise with fijisun
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
Fiji Sun Instagram
Fiji Plus
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
error: