NATION

Family Flee To Safety From Burning House

Ten members of a family say they are blessed to be alive after a fire destroyed their Nadi home yesterday. The home owner, Vero Weresili Tonini, said they were thankful
13 Nov 2016 11:05
Family Flee To Safety From Burning House
Vero Weresili Tonini with his daughter Katarina Sau and his grandson Mikaele Rajale Junior standing in front of their house at Korociri in Nadi yesterday. Photo: PAULINI RATULAILAI.

Ten members of a family say they are blessed to be alive after a fire destroyed their Nadi home yesterday.

The home owner, Vero Weresili Tonini, said they were thankful to God that a one-year-old child was safe too.

The fire destroyed their home early yesterday at Korociri, Nadi.

Mr Tonini said it happened so fast that the fire consumed the house in minutes.

“What I gathered was that the fire started from my nephew’s room. His wife and two children live in their room.  He had gone out to town with my other uncle, who also lives in the house with his wife, for shopping as we prepare for our bazaar.

“I just woke up because I heard someone calling out there was a fire.  As I came out of the room I couldn’t breathe because of the smoke. It was all black inside the house.

“I tried to look for my family members, my wife, kids and my grandchildren. I was calm and tried to hold breath as I tried to find my way around the house looking for them.  We couldn’t save anything. What we saved are the only clothes that we are wearing,” Mr Tonini said.

Mr Tonini, a retired Hot Bread Kitchen staff member in Nadi, said he was happy to see his family safe and well. He said he was relieved that his granddaughter was safe after suffering from burns on her right arm and leg.

Kevueli Bogilevu, 25, was in tears when she heard his one-year-old daughter got out safely during the fire.

Siliva Bogilevu had suffered burns during the fire that destroyed their home.

“She was sleeping inside the room when the fire got out; when a cousin of mine came inside the room he saw that she was trying to get out of the cot.  He went in grabbed her and took her out.

“I went to town with my uncle for shopping when we received a call. The only thing that came to my mind were my kids.

“We rushed back to check them, but she was taken to Nadi Hospital and now have been transferred to Lautoka with my wife.

“I am thankful that they are all safe,” Mr Bogilevu said.



Fijisun Ad Space


Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.


By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.


Tower Insurance
Advertise here
Covid 19 - SPC
Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper