NATION

Grandmother Helpless As Fire Destroys Home

Blaze leaves two families without a roof to shelter. An elderly woman in Malolo, Nadi, could do nothing but watch their family home and everything else with it go up
12 Apr 2017 11:00
Grandmother Helpless As Fire Destroys Home
Komal Datt (in purple top) shares grief with her grandmother, Chandra Wati (sitting) and their neighbours at their neighbour's house yesterday in Malolo Transmitter Road in Nadi. Photo:ARISHMA DEVI-NARAYAN

Blaze leaves two families without a roof to shelter.

An elderly woman in Malolo, Nadi, could do nothing but watch their family home and everything else with it go up in flames yesterday.

Chandra Wati, 75, is now not sure what she has to say to her son, Rajesh Datt, and daughter-in-law Tara, who left the country a few days ago for a holiday at their son’s place.

Ms Wati watched their family home burn with disbelief and sadness knowing that she was unable to save her son’s house, which he had built through hard work.

Ms Wati was alone at home when the fire started at around 11:45am while her granddaughter, Komal Datt, was at school teaching.

“I was outside feeding the ducks and all of a sudden I heard an explosion. I ran to see what it was,” Ms Wati said as she grieved in disbelief.

“By the time I reached inside the fire had already started and I could imagine all our assets being ruined in the fire so I tried to get in to save something,” she said.

In an attempt to save some belongings she burnt her foot and she rushed out of the house as the fire had spread throughout the house.

“My son had worked so hard and made this house and everything went down in minutes. We do not know how we are going to tell them,” she said after the fire.

Their tenant, Vikashni Chand, said they would need to find a place to stay because her husband was in the Yasawa Islands doing some work.

Meanwhile, in another incident, a family of four lost their home on Tuesday in Waqadra, Nadi.

Bal Krishna Pillay said no one in the family, including his six-month-old baby girl, were injured.

Two bedrooms from their property were spared.

“I was lucky to wake up upon the sound of an explosion. I tried to stop the fire from spreading but it was too late and we all managed to escape without injuries,” Mr Pillay said.

 Edited by Naisa Koroi

Feedback: arishma.narayan@fijisun.com.fj

 

 

Fiji Sun Instagram
Fiji Plus
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
error: