NATION

Rescuer Tells How He Saved Neighbour

An injured man has described the moment he rescued his neighbour’s wife from a raging house fire which destroyed a corrugated, iron and semi-concrete three-bedroom home last Tuesday. Police spokeperson,
11 May 2017 11:00
Rescuer Tells How He Saved Neighbour
Salesh Chand and his family stands infront of their home in Velaidan, Nadi yesterday. Photo: WAISEA NASOKIA

An injured man has described the moment he rescued his neighbour’s wife from a raging house fire which destroyed a corrugated, iron and semi-concrete three-bedroom home last Tuesday.

Police spokeperson, Ana Naisoro confirmed the incident which has left four people homeless in Velaidan, outside Nadi.

Harish Gounder, 26, had rushed to the scene of the blaze barefoot.

Harish Gounder shows the burns he sustained in the act. Photo: WAISEA NASOKIA

Harish Gounder shows the burns he sustained in the act. Photo: WAISEA NASOKIA

The junior clerk saw smoke and heard a woman’s screams while he was sitting under a tree.

He then ran towards the back and forced open the door, dashed into the house where his neighbour’s wife was and tried to put out the flames.

He said: “I heard a woman – and my sixth sense told me something wasn’t right after I saw dark smoke.

“I wasn’t even wearing my shoes. I ran into their house with just my clothes and headed to where the noise was coming from – She (Mrs Chand) was fetching water from the tap from the sink in an effort to douse off the fire.

“I grabbed her hand and took her out of the house. If we had missed by a few minutes later we would have been trapped at the back with smoke and heat.

“I wanted to remove the car but the keys were placed somewhere in house which was already on fire.”

Both were rushed to the hospital, treated and sent home.

House owner Salesh Chand, 33 a mechanic was not at home when the incident occurred.

His wife Rohini told the Fiji Sun that she was preparing tea when the kerosene stove blew up.

“This caught me by surprise and it was so fast when it all happened,” she said.

“Fire was everywhere; I was shouting and trying to put out the fire at the same time. I forgot to come out of the house,” she emotionally recounted.

She thanked Mr Gounder for his heroic rescue as the firefighters and Police arrived at the scene.

Mr Chand said the estimated cost of the damage was over $100,000.

Ms Naisoro confirmed that investigations by the National Fire Authority were ongoing.



Fijisun Ad Space


Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.


By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.


Tower Insurance
Advertise here
Covid 19 - SPC
Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper