NATION

Fire Sources That Can Cause A Fire At Home

In this week’s fire safety page, the National Fire Authority (NFA) is going to look at fire sources in our home that can cause a fire. Our household belongings such
26 May 2017 10:40
Fire Sources That Can Cause A Fire At Home

In this week’s fire safety page, the National Fire Authority (NFA) is going to look at fire sources in our home that can cause a fire.

Our household belongings such as electrical appliances, candles, prayer diyas, cooking appliances gas stoves, etc are some of the common fire sources in our home which causes home fires.

It is very important for home owners to be mindful of fire safety with the use of electrical appliances, candles, prayer diyas, during cooking, etc.

There are also many other fire sources and combustible materials in our home and surrounding that can easily cause a fire such as flammable liquids kerosene, benzene, etc.

We must ensure that electrical appliances are switched off after use, do not overload power board, engage a qualified electrician to do wirings, never leave cooking unattended, extinguish all cooking fires before leaving the cooking area, candles, prayer diyas, mosquito coils must always be placed on metal holders.

These are some of the important home fire safety tips which the home owners must always be mindful of at home.

 

Here are some important home fire safety tips to follow which will avoid a fire:

 

Kitchen Stoves:

  • Never leave the stove unattended.
  • Check that electric cords, curtains, tea towels and oven cloths are at a safe distance from the stove top.
  • Be careful of long flowing sleeves contacting gas flames.

 

Faulty Wiring:

  • Always use a qualified electrician.
  • Double adaptors and power-boards can overload power points.
  • Install safety switches and correct fuses.

 

Lighting:

  • Check light fittings for heat build up.
  • Discard lampshades that are close to light globes & lamp bases that can be knocked over easily.
  • Ensure recessed downlights are properly insulated from wood panelling or ceiling timbers.

Flammable Liquids:

  • Store all flammable liquids such as kerosene, methylated spirits, benzene, etc away from heat.
  • Always check the label before use and storage.
  • Use extreme care when pouring.

 

Clothes Dryers:

  • Always clean lint filters after each load.
  • Avoid drying bras in your dryer as the underwire can get caught and start a fire.

 

Candles:

  • Never leave burning candles unattended. Do not sleep with a burning candle.
  • Make sure curtains and other flammable items are well away from burning candles.

 

Home Heating:

  • Make sure all appliances are professionally installed.
  • Check that walls and floors are insulated from heat sources.
  • Be careful where you place portable appliances.
  • Never leave an open fire alight when you leave the house or go to bed.
  • Place a mesh guard in front of open fires.
  • Never leave children unattended near fires and heaters.
  • Clothing should not be dried close to heaters or fires.

Children:

  • Warn all children about playing with fire.
  • Keep all matches, lighters and candles out of reach of small children.
  • Teach young children to bring matches or lighters they find to an adult immediately.
  • Teach older children that matches are a tool for adults and never light a match stick.
  • Brief your babysitter on your fire plan – make sure they know all exits and emergency telephone numbers. Make sure the babysitter understands fire survival techniques.
Fiji Sun Instagram
Fiji Plus
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
error: