New Zealand Wallop Toa Samoa

  The Kiwis have started their World Cup campaign in the fashion they needed to with an emphatic 38-8 win over Samoa at Mt Smart Stadium on last night. At
29 Oct 2017 12:04
New Zealand Wallop Toa Samoa
Jordan Rapana scored New Zealand’s first try. Photo: Zimbio


The Kiwis have started their World Cup campaign in the fashion they needed to with an emphatic 38-8 win over Samoa at Mt Smart Stadium on last night.

At times the Kiwis did lack a bit of polish and some of their errors were reminiscent of another team that often plays at this venue.

However, apart from a bad patch towards the end of the first half, they were too good for a Samoan side full of NRL players and this result goes a long way towards restoring some pride in their jersey.  The loss of Kenny Bromwich with a groin injury the day before the game resulted in Adam Blair going to lock, Simon Mannering moving to the second row and Jared Waerea-Hargreaves starting at prop.

So a few changes, but it didn’t really matter.

There was a highly charged atmosphere before kick-off with an emotional siva tau, followed by a haka in front of 17,857 spectators.

Just three minutes into the game Jordan Rapana made a break down the right edge, quickly exchanged passes with Shaun Johnson and then finished off the attack with a try.

Samoa were given a penalty 10m from the Kiwis’ line in the 10th minute, they went for a tap but lost possession after a few tackles.

They kept the pressure on the Kiwis close to their own line, but when the ball went wide to Dallin Watene-Zelezniak he had the space to run 95m for a try.

However, he knocked the ball on and put the Kiwis under pressure again, although thankfully for him, nothing came of it.

The Kiwis forwards were not only able to outmuscle their opponents up the middle, they also had the panache to pull out offloads and that’s exactly how their second try came, with Mannering swerving through Samoan defenders and when finally caught, he flicked the ball to Thomas Leuluai, who then quickly fed it to Johnson to score.

Bunty Afoa and Leeson Ah Mau were impressive for Samoa up the middle, but they didn’t look like a cohesive enough team to capitalise on their strong runs.

But five minutes before the break Samoan wing Ken Maumalo found himself with an overlap on the left edge. One quick sidestep to throw off Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and he was in for a try.

The score at the break was 10-4 in favour of New Zealand and really the Kiwis should have been further ahead than that.

They did extend their lead five minutes into the second half when Maumalo lost the ball in goal from a Johnson grubber and Brad Takairangi was the first to seize on it.

Seven minutes later there was some real class from the Kiwis as Johnson put through a perfectly weighted grubber that Kodi Nikorima dived on in goal for the Kiwis’ fourth try.

Soon after, Isaac Liu bulldozed his way over for a try on debut.

Up 26-4 and in a position to coast home, Gerard Beale collapsed without being touched and and had to leave the field on a medicab with a leg injury and it could be that his World Cup is over.

Tuivasa-Sheck and Nelson Asofa-Solomona picked up a late tries for the Kiwis and the scoreline at last reflected New Zealand’s domination.

Next up for the Kiwis is Scotland in Christchurch on Saturday, then the game everyone’s waiting for, Tonga in Hamilton and on the evidence of this game, even with the defections, New Zealand should be too strong.



Wales coach John Kear is looking at resurrecting their Rugby League World Cup dream by beating the Vodafone Fijian Bati next Sunday.

This was after Wales got a 50-6 thrashing from the Papua New Guinea Kumuls in Port Moresby last night.

“I didn’t think we performed well in any aspect of rugby league today, I think it’s been a very harsh lesson,” Kerr said.

“We just never got any opportunity to attack because we couldn’t prevent the roll-on from Papua New Guinea and I’ve got to compliment them.”

Kumuls David Mead scored two tries in the first nine minutes in a game PNG dominated from start to finish. Despite both conversions being missed by Ase Boas, Wales were not spared any humiliation.

Nene Macdonald bagged a try in the 21st minute with Rhyse Martin then succeeding where Boas had failed.  Kato Ottio and Wellington Albert got in on the act before the end of the first half, with Martin converting both kicks.

He also scored a try shortly after the restart, with PNG showing no signs of letting up. And things only got worse for Kear’s side. Martin clocked up his second of the game in the 51st minute, with Justin Olam going over the line four minutes later.

Mead got his hat-trick with 59 minutes on the clock, before Paul Aiton added PNG’s 10th try of the game with 10 minutes to go. PNG were far superior, dominating play with 61 per cent of possession.

But Wales did have something to cheer late on, with Regan Grace making his debut with a try..

Edited by Osea Bola



Fijisun E-edition
Tanoa Waterfront Lautoka Fiji
Fiji Sun Instagram
Fiji Plus