NEWS

Family Reels Over Loss Of Son Seteo, 15

A family of Nawaikama in Gau is still in a state of shock after receiving the tragic news of the loss of their son who was electrocuted in Cunningham, Suva.
01 Jan 2018 11:40
Family Reels Over Loss Of Son Seteo, 15
Deceased... Seteo Saumaisue

A family of Nawaikama in Gau is still in a state of shock after receiving the tragic news of the loss of their son who was electrocuted in Cunningham, Suva.

According to Police Seteo Saumaisue, 15, was electrocuted by a loose Fiji Electricity Authority (FEA) main power line at the junction of Cunningham and Wainitarawau Road around 9pm on Saturday. Police spokeswoman Ana Naisoro confirmed the Year 10 student of Gau Secondary School came to stay at Cunningham and was walking with two of his friends when he accidently touched the FEA live wire.

The victim was rushed to hospital by his uncle, but was pronounced dead on arrival.

Seteo’s aunt Laisani Saumaisue said she has passed on the tragic news to the victim’s father in Gau and his mother and younger sibling in Lautoka.

“The parents are still in a state of shock after receiving news of the death of their son,” Mrs Saumaisue said.

“He came at the end of the last school year and stayed with one of his family in Nasova and spent Christmas here with us in Cunningham.

“On Saturday he asked to go for a walk with another two boys who were home with us. While on their way the live wire fell. He tried to save himself but his efforts were in vain.”

Mrs Saumaisue described the incident was like a blink of an eye because they were just together at home, and few minutes later they received the news of his death.

She said Seteo was happy after he received his Year 10 results and he was looking forward to Year 11.

“Seteo is a quite boy and my children are missing him so much.”

The post mortem will be conducted today.

FEA chief executive officer Hasmukh Patel confirmed the electrocution incident at a press conference yesterday. He described how there were overhead power lines running in the area and a low voltage power line insulator which attaches the power line to the power pole.

“The insulator gave way and the power line became a little low, which could be reached if one stretched out their arm,” Mr Patel said.

“There were residents who were aware of the power lines. Unfortunately youths came close to the power line and I was told that some residents told them not to go close to the power lines because it had just come down and could be a hazard.”

It is alleged that one of the youths touched the power lines and as a result he received an electric shock.

While he described the incident as unfortunate during this festive season Mr Patel urged members of the public to contact FEA on toll free line 913 if they see any broken power lines or any power line that may have dropped a little.

Edited by Percy Kean



Fijisun Ad Space


Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.


By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.


Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper