Dad’s Death Mars Birthday Plans

Just three days ago 20-year-old Priya Nair made plans with her father to throw a grand party for her only son’s first birth­day at their family home at Jubara­ki Settlement
08 Jun 2018 11:00
Dad’s Death Mars Birthday Plans
From left: Distraught wife, Urmila Nair with her daughter Priya Nair and niece Shaleshni Chand holding a photo of the late Asbin Nair in Olosara, Sigatoka on June 7, 2018. Photo: Arieta Vakasukawaqa

Just three days ago 20-year-old Priya Nair made plans with her father to throw a grand party for her only son’s first birth­day at their family home at Jubara­ki Settlement in Olosara, Sigatoka.

But the plans were ruined after her father, Asbin Nair, was found dead in a pool of blood with deep cuts to his head just a few metres from their home on Wednesday night.

Mr Nair, 48, was working at a prominent resort along the Coral Coast.

It is understood that his son, 21-year-old Anish Nair, was return­ing home from a soccer match when he spotted a trail of blood, which led to the discovery of his dead father.

When a team from the Fiji Sun ar­rived at the settlement close to 20 Police officers were already at the scene conducting investigations.

Officers went from house to house within the area questioning neigh­bours and people living nearby.

“I just broke down in tears after I received a call from my older broth­er at about 9pm last night (Wednes­day) that he found my father dead in a pool of blood outside our home,” Ms Nair said.

“I left my home in Lautoka and came straight here (Olosara), but by the time I got here Police officers had already taken his body.”

Ms Nair said her father was excit­ed to celebrate his first grandson’s birthday party next week.

“We had discussed having my son’s first birthday celebrations at our family home next week on Monday and he was excited about it because it’s his first grandchild,” she said.

“There were plans to host a big party for all our family.

“He (Asbin) was a loving father and always worked hard for his children.

“Despite the hardships we went through growing up, our father made sure that we were always happy,” she added.

Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro said the post-mortem examination had not been con­ducted yet.

“At this moment we cannot classify it as a murder until we get the autopsy results and investigations are still in the initial stages. Police are doing routine work in taking statements,” she added.

Wife seeks answers

Forty-year-old Urmila Nair is demanding answers over the death of her husband.

Tears streamed down her face as the moth­er-of-four tried to share the story of her late husband.

“Just a few hours before he was found dead he called to tell me that he would at home within an hour, so I was looking forward to seeing him. That was until I was informed by my son that he was found dead outside our home,” she said.

“I am pleading with Police to find answers to the cause of my husband’s death and this is just a sad way to lose a loved one.”

Mrs Nair described her husband as good and kind man who brought joy to people around him.

A family friend, 54-year-old Keshwa Nand, said he had known Mr Nair for the past 10 years because they were neighbours at Na­vovo Settlement, Sigatoka.

“He was a hardworking man and always making everyone laugh with his jokes. They met him last in Sigatoka while he doing his shopping,” Mr Nand said.

“We were neighbours for more than ten years and most of the time we used to enjoy each other’s company over a basin of kava. Today is one of the worst days in my life be­cause I’ve lost a very good friend.”

Mr Nair is survived by his wife, four chil­dren and one grandson.

Edited by Epineri Vula


Fijisun Ad Space

Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.

By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.

Win Christmas with Tower Insurance
Fijisun E-edition
Advertise here
Fiji Sun Instagram