SUNBIZ

Walesi TV App Is Here

A mobile application was launched yesterday for Government’s digital television project, Walesi, making free-to-air local channels in Fiji widely accessible for anyone with a smart phone. Content providers, internet service providers
27 Jun 2018 14:26
Walesi TV App Is Here
Attorney-General and Minister for Communications Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum with students at the launch of Walesi’s mobile phone app in Suvavou house, Suva on June 26, 2018. Photo: DEPTFO News

mobile application was launched yesterday for Government’s digital television project, Walesi, making free-to-air local channels in Fiji widely accessible for anyone with a smart phone.

Content providers, internet service providers and Government have joined hands for the project in a revenue-sharing arrangement that has brought to Fiji the country’s first streaming app.    

Walesi’s free and one-of-a-kind app lets users watch live local television from the channels available on its platform from anywhere.

It has the added feature of letting users watch replays of any show they might have missed – news bulletins, for instance.

Walesi TV is already connecting 82,346 households with to free-to-air television, according the Attorney-General and Minister for Communication Aiyaz Sayed-Khaiyum.

But the app gives local content providers a chance to expand their reach to an increasingly connected audience moving away from traditional mediums like TV and radio.

The wider reach is certain to fuel revenue growth for stakeholders, with big chances at gains from advertising expected for content providers.

“We hope that the new revenue source for content providers will encourage them to produce more local programmes – that is very critical for us (Government),” Mr Sayed-Khaiyum said.

“The revenue-sharing has been in what is called a ‘40-40-20’. So, in the other words, the internet providers will keep 20 per cent of the internet that’s used and the other balance of 80 per cent will be shared between Walesi and also the television companies.”

The apps launch came 12 days after Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama unveiled Government’s new DigitalFIJI mobile app.

Mr Sayed-Khaiyum publicly thanked Mr Bainimarama, describing him as the “most technologically savvy PM the country has ever had.”

“None of this would have been possible without the leadership of the honourable Prime Minister.

“I’d like to publicly acknowledge him and thank him for his leadership because he has never hesitated in respect to the various projects we’ve brought forward to him to be able to better empower people and he is always very ably supported that.”

Savusavu submarine cabel The launch of the app was preceded by the signing of the access to the Savusavu submarine cable system agreement.

“The Savusavu submarine cable is very pivotal to ensuring that we have development that is spread across evenly throughout Fiji,” Mr Sayed-Khaiyum said.

“The Samoans were building a cable to connect themselves to the Southern Cross cable which lands in Vatuwaqa (Suva).

“We saw an opportunity because to connect from Samoa to Fiji, the cable was going to come between Taveuni and Savusavu.

“The Fijian Government saw an opportunity and said why we don’t build a pipe out of that to land a cable in Savusavu because that would then give the bandwidth and the speed to Vanua Levu.”

He said the telecommunications infrastructure development falls in line with Government’s plan to develop the Northern Division.

Feedback:  sheldon.chanel@fijisun.com.fj

Fiji Sun Instagram
Fiji Plus
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
error: