NATION

 Family Risks Losing All, Dry Spell Toll

  Nazia Dean is at risk of losing her family’s main source of income if the dry spell continues in the West­ern Division. The family farm is located in the
01 Sep 2018 10:00
 Family Risks Losing All, Dry Spell Toll
Nazia Dean, 35, at at Tovatova Settlement in Mulomulo in Nausori Highlands Road on August 31, 2018. Photo: Arieta Vakasukawaqa

 

Nazia Dean is at risk of losing her family’s main source of income if the dry spell continues in the West­ern Division.

The family farm is located in the settle­ment of Tovatova in Mulomulo, Nausori Highlands Road, where she resides with her husband and four children.

“This dry spell has led to a water shortage in our area and it affects vegetable farmers like us,” she said.

“We plant cabbages, chillies, coriander, spinach and bhaji; it’s a concern to us be­cause a lot of these vegetables were dam­aged in the recent dry spell.

“Some are just few days away from harvest, but I am really worried. With the current weather conditions, they might get dam­aged by the time it’s ready to be harvested,” she added.

Ms Dean said her vegetables were being sold at Nadi Market when harvested.

“In a good month, we can earn around $800 and this is our main source of income for the family,” she said.

“But, the worse drought we experienced was in 2015 where we lost everything we planted in our farms. They were destroyed.”

“I expect to harvest around 100 bundles of cabbages in the next few days where I aimed to earn more than $200.”

Tovatova Advisory Councilor Taki Mo­hammed said their area consisted of 580 households.

“A total of 2000 litres of water have been carted to each respective family, which should last for eight days,” he said.

“Around 25 per cent of families don’t have pipe water, but use boreholes and the other 75 per cent have piped water in their homes.

“This is a farming settlement and 10 per cent are livestock farmers.

Edited by Percy Kean

Feedback: arieta.vakasukawaqa@fijisun.com.fj

 



Fijisun Ad Space


Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.


By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.


Win Christmas with Tower Insurance
Advertise here
Covid 19 - SPC
Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper