NATION

12 Year Old First Victim Of Electrocution in 2019

2019 has recorded its first victim of electrocution. Marika Saucake, 12, was electrocuted on New Year’s Day after tripping on an electric steel pole. The incident occurred during the early
03 Jan 2019 11:12
12 Year Old First Victim Of Electrocution in 2019
FEA chief executive officer, Hasmukh Patel.

2019 has recorded its first victim of electrocution.

Marika Saucake, 12, was electrocuted on New Year’s Day after tripping on an electric steel pole.

The incident occurred during the early hours of January 1, at the Lelean Memorial School quarters in Nausori.

A statement released by Police said Marika and other children were splashing water on each other,  when he accidently tripped on an electric steel pole, believed to have an EFL live wire.

Attempts were made to revive the victim but proved unsuccessful.

Marika was rushed to the Nausori Health Centre, but he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Attempts to acquire comments from the family proved futile.

Questions were emailed to Energy Fiji Limited chief executive officer Hasmukh Patel yesterday about the incident. He said EFL would submit a report after investigations were completed.

A similar incident happened on New Year’s Day last year when 15-year-old Seteo Saumaisue was electrocuted by a loose EFL main power line at the junction of Cunningham at Wainitarawau Road around 9pm on a Saturday.

Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro said the Year 10 student of Gau Secondary School had come to stay at Cunningham and was walking with two of his friends when he accidently touched the EFL live wire.

The victim was rushed to hospital by his uncle, but was pronounced dead on arrival.

Edited by Percy Kean

Feedback:  sheenam.chandra@fijisun.com.fj

Fiji Sun Instagram
Fiji Plus
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
error: