NEWS

Sisters Miss Classes After Fire Burns Home

We lost everything in the fire.
08 Mar 2019 10:34
Sisters Miss Classes After Fire Burns Home
From left Sandika Kaur, Shakshi and their mother Babita Devi inside what's left of their home in Olosara, Sigatoka on March 7, 2019. Photo: Nicolette Chambers

Two sisters who attend Siga­toka Methodist College can­not attend their classes af­ter losing all their belongings in a fire which destroyed their home on March 3.

Sisters Sandika Kaur, 18 and Shakshi, 13, lived with their par­ents in the four-bedroom house in Olosara, Sigatoka.

The family owns Tutu’s Rental.

Their mother, Babita Devi, 39, said: “We lost everything in the fire. My eldest daughter is in Year 13 and my youngest is in year eight at Sigatoka Methodist College.

She said the fire began around 3.45pm and said that lightning strikes were the reason their home was alight.

“The lightning was really bad at the time I stood up to go to the washroom I saw the ceiling was on fire, I shouted and then we ran outside,” she said.

“We lost everything, we only managed to save the rental cars. We were keeping the money, around $2000 for our payments.”

She estimated that they’ve lost $150,000 worth of belongings.

Edited by Ranoba Baoa

Feedback: nicolette.chambers@fijisun.com.fj



Fijisun Ad Space


Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.


By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.


Tower Insurance
Advertise here
Covid 19 - SPC
Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper