SUNBIZ

Final Salvaging Works Include Refloating Of MV Southern Phoenix

The sunken vessel was re-floated last week for its final stages of re­moval from the Suva Harbour.
29 Mar 2019 12:35
Final Salvaging Works Include Refloating Of MV Southern Phoenix
Sunken cargo vessel Southern Phoenix salvaged at Suva Harbour on March 25, 2019. Photo: Ronald Kumar.

Final salvaging works for the MV Southern Phoenix which had sunk nearly two years ago is in progress at the Suva har­bor.

The 88 meter long, 4285 dwt cargo vessel Southern Phoenix capsized while loading containers at the Suva wharf on May 6, 2017.

The cargo vessel had begun to list to its port side as it continued to fill with water. Nothing could be done and the crew evacuated the vessel.

The mooring lines were then cut loose and a tug pulled the sunken Southern Phoenix away from the wharf to where it now lies.

Meanwhile Phase One of the sal­vaging works concluded on June 1, 2017 included the removal of oil, fuel and other hazardous substanc­es on board the sunken vessel.

Phase Two had included the re­moval of the remaining cargo. Phase Three, is currently under­way and that includes the removal of the wreck and the scuttling pro­cess of the vessel.

The sunken vessel was re-floated last week for its final stages of re­moval from the Suva Harbour.

All structures of the ruined ves­sel including its accommodation rooms have been cut off and sunk at the provided scuttling position of beyond 1000m in water depth out­side the Suva Harbour.

Joint cooperation of vessel owner Cruz Holdings Limited, Fiji Ports Corporation Limited (FPCL) and Maritime Safety Authority of Fiji (MSAF) has provided positive re­sults on the cargo vessel being re­moved says MSAF acting chief ex­ecutive officer Captain Philip Hill.

“The ship is further stabilised at the sunken position, this is prepar­ing to move the hull to the standby mooring for the final tow out to the scuttling position,” Captain Hill said.

“The hull of the ship is the remain­ing part of the vessel that needs to be scuttled,” he said.

Captain Hill has confirmed that all approvals from relevant authorities have been obtained last year prior to the commencement of the sal­vage operation.

No timeframe has been given in regards to completion works.

“As it is, there is no timeline for the scuttling operation,” he said.

“This is only because we want the scuttling operation to be done in a very careful and efficient manner and that the scuttling process does not pose any threat to other vessels in terms of navigation,” Cpt. Hill said.

 

Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
error: