Boxing

Taganikoro Steps In To Challenge Qica As Talks With Singh Break Down

Taganikoro stepped in after challenger James Singh’s team pulled out of negotiations because of differences over the purse.
06 Aug 2019 18:18
Taganikoro Steps In To Challenge Qica As Talks With Singh Break Down
From left: Heavyweight boxer Vilimoni Taganikoro signs the contract with South Pacific Boxing Promotions promoter Freddy Chand in Nadi on August 5, 2019. Photo: Waisea Nasokia

Heavyweight top contender Vilimoni Taganikoro has signed the contract to challenge the national title held by Petero Qica on October 26 at Prince Charles Park, Nadi.

Speaking to SUNsports yesterday South Pacific Boxing Promotions promoter Freddy Chand said the fight is going to be a cracker since Taganikoro has been the number one contender for the title.

“The Fiji heavyweight title fight is finally on,” he said.

Taganikoro stepped in after challenger James Singh’s team pulled out of negotiations because of differences over the purse.

Chand indicated that they are now going full swing in promoting the programme and they wish Singh and his manager well for the future.

Taganikoro said the title fight with Qica has been long overdue.

“I had wanted to fight Qica for a long time. Somehow I had this feeling that it was coming closer and I had started training last month,” he said.

The 37-year-old Bukuya, Ba native said he’s grateful to the promoter for giving him a chance to fight for the Fiji title.

The programme will have three title fights. The main bout is the much- awaited return fight between Savenaca Naliva and Joseph Kwadjo for the vacant Fijian light heavyweight title while the Fijian super welterweight fight is between stylish Jese Ravudi and Rakuro Daunivavana.

Chand added that boxers have ample time to  make the weight limit.

Edited by Leone Cabenatabua

Feedbackwaisean@fijisun.com.fj

Fiji Sun Instagram
Fiji Plus
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
error: