NATION

‘Trapped’ Paralyzed Woman Dies In Ba Home Fire

“I am still shocked because I don’t know how the fire started. I plan to rebuild and fix my house so that my family can move back in.”
22 Nov 2019 12:14
‘Trapped’ Paralyzed Woman Dies In Ba Home Fire
Ajesh Kumar outside his home in Sarava, Ba, which was destroyed by a fire on November 21, 2019. INSET: Dead... Savitir Devi. Photo: Salote Qalubau

A 43-year-old woman of Sarava, Ba, died yesterday after she was trapped inside her burning home.

A devasted husband, Ajesh Kumar said his wife Savitri Devi was paralysed after she suffered a stroke.

“My wife had a stroke and was lying in the house while I was cutting grass at my neighbour’s house,” the 52-year-old said.

“When I saw the smoke at 1 pm, I came running to try and save her but there was too much flame and I could not go inside. Everything was destroyed.

“I am still shocked because I don’t know how the fire started. I plan to rebuild and fix my house so that my family can move back in.”

His younger brother, Anjesh Kumar Lal, said neighbours also tried to assist the family.

“I live next door and I was not home when the fire started but the neighbours staying at the back of my brother’s house told me that they ran and tried to enter the house through the window but they couldn’t save his wife,” he said.

The National Fire Authority confirmed Mrs Devi’s paralysis.

Meanwhile, the NFA also attended another fire incident yesterday at the Police Barracks in Tavua.

“The people occupying the barracks managed to evacuate to safety and no injuries were reported.  Eight people occupied the unit that caught fire.” Waisea Nasokia

Edited by Naisa Koroi

Feedbackwaisean@fijisun.com.fj

Fijisun E-edition
Tanoa Waterfront Lautoka Fiji
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
Fiji Sun Instagram
Fiji Plus
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
error: