Crime & Court

Woman On Manslaughter Charge To Take Plea On June 8, Court Told

She is charged with one count of manslaughter arising from a breach of duty.
06 May 2020 14:05
Woman On Manslaughter Charge To Take Plea On June 8, Court Told
Tokasa Bale Korotabacaca outside the High Court in Suva on May 5, 2020. Photo: Ashna Kumar

A 37-year-old mother who allegedly caused the death of her three-year-old son in February last year will take her plea on June 8.

Tokasa Bale Korotabacaca appeared before Judge Justice Vinsent Perera at the High Court in Suva yesterday.

She is charged with one count of manslaughter arising from a breach of duty.

It is alleged that Korotabacaca on February 27, 2019 at Waitana Creek, Tonia, Tailevu, omitted her duty by failing to ensure the safety of Simione Karacanavanua who was under her charge by leaving him unattended near the creek and that such failure caused the death of Simione Karacanavanua, a child under the age of 14 years old.

Her lawyer had requested for more time for a plea to be taken as the defence intended to present their case to the Director of Public Prosecutions to consider withdrawing the charge on preliminary review.

The case was adjourned for plea and bail further extended.

Edited by Caroline Ratucadra

Feedbackashna.kumar@fijisun.com.fj

 



5SQRS Clearance


Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper