NATION

Dad Waits In Vain For Answers Of Son’s Disappearance

Thirteen days after receiving the dreadful news of Eliki Yaco Junior’s disappearance, Eliki Rarawa Snr, is seeking answers as to what really happened on the day he lost his eldest son.
14 Jun 2020 09:42
Dad Waits In Vain For Answers Of Son’s Disappearance
Eliki Yaco’s dad and siblings at their Makoi home on June 13, 2020, (From left) Netani Tuikorocau, Joape Liu, Iliand Temo with their father, Eliki Rarawa. INSET: Eliki Yaco. Photo: Kelera Sovasiga

A father waits anxiously in vain for answers about his son’s disappearance.

Thirteen days after receiving the dreadful news of Eliki Yaco Junior’s disappearance, Eliki Rarawa Snr, is seeking answers as to what really happened on the day he lost his eldest son.

The late Eliki Yaco, 23, was last seen on May 31, leaving Nukuni Village, Ono-i-Lau, to pick up a Government worker from a picnic spot on the island.

It is alleged that Mr Yaco was attacked by a shark on their way back to Nukuni Village.

Speaking to the Fiji Sun from their home in Narere, Mr Rarawa said he’s had sleepless nights for the past 13 days thinking about what really happened to his son.

“I am restless and I am anxiously waiting for answers as to what had really happened,” an emotional Mr Rarawa said.

“It’s been 13-days already and the only news that we have received from Police on the island is that investigations are still ongoing.

“Junior was my eldest son. And it hurts me to hear of what had happened, but I am grateful to God that only his will has prevailed.

“I have told my family that I will only be able to sleep in peace if I know what had really happened to my son.”

As Police investigations continue, Mr Rarawa has avoided the widespread speculations circulating on social media about his son’s disappearance.

He also has no intention of pointing fingers or to lay the blame on someone.

“I only hope that investigations will be carried out in a timely manner and that we get the answers that we continually seek for,” Mr Rarawa said.

Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro said two people were questioned about the disappearance of Mr Yaco, but have been released.

“Two Police officers from Lakeba Police Station have been transferred to Ono-i-Lau to investigate the matter and there has been no developments so far,” Ms Naisoro said.

“They continue to collect statements from villagers, in a bid to fully obtain what had happened.”

Edited by Naisa Koroi

Feedback: inoke.rabonu@fijisun.com.fj

 


Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.


By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.




5SQRS Clearance


Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper