What Kept Us Going, Nasiga Tells

Speaking to SUNsports yesterday captain Rupeni Nasiga said they are now focused on Namosi.
26 Jul 2020 14:48
What Kept Us Going, Nasiga Tells
From left: Police Commissioner Brigadier General Sitiveni Qiliho hands over the Farebrother-Sullivan Trophy to Nadroga captain Rupeni Nasiga after their 15-13 win over Suva at Lawaqa Park, Sigatoka on July 25, 2020. Photo: Ronald Kumar.

Despite escaping with a narrow 15-13 win defending Farebrother-Sullivan Trophy holders Nadroga have put everything behind them and are focused on the next challenge.

Speaking to SUNsports yesterday captain Rupeni Nasiga said they are now focused on Namosi.

“We know they (Namosi) are as tough as the Suva side and they are a very strategic team,” the former Flying Fijians lock forward said.

“We made a lot of mistakes that nearly caused us the game. We just didn’t click.

“Our line-out was not perfect and that is one area we will have to work on.

“Now the Suva game is over and we are eyeing another sweet win over Namosi but we’ve to do the hardwork first.”

Nasiga said their players trusted each other and that what kept them going right to the end.

“Suva is a great team, thanks for a hard clean game of rugby,” he said.

“We were reminded to play like a true Nadroga warrior when we entered the field.

“The players trusted each other from the forwards to the backs and with the support of the province anything was possible.”

What happened: Both teams started strongly. The visitors began dominating the game but the Nadroga defence stood strong.

Suva first five-eighth Jone Manu scored the first try in the 10th minute from a good forward play and was not converted by Enele Tikotani.

Both teams gave away penalties and at times displayed poor handling skills.

Nadroga narrowed the scoreline to 5-3 from a Apisalome Waqatabu penalty.

The Nadroga forwards dominated the scrums and as a result halfback Joseva Kurucuva dived over to score a try with the conversion going wide.

Halftime; Nadroga 8-5 Suva

Suva levelled the scores in the 55th minute from a Setareki Raoba penalty.

Against the run of play Manu scored his second try after being set-up by John Stewart.

Raoba and Meli Kurisaru missed kickable penalties which could have given Suva the win.

The Stallions powered on with their big forwards and got a penalty try for the 15-13 win.

Edited by Leone Cabenatabua


Got A News Tip

Get updates from the Fiji Sun, handpicked and delivered to your inbox.

By entering your email address you're giving us permission to send you news and offers. You can opt-out at any time.

For All Fiji Sun Advertising
Fijisun E-edition