NATION

Siblings Lose School Items In Ba Fire, Father Seeks Assistance

“My children’s bus cards, school uniforms, books and everything else are gone, they won’t be able to go back to school anytime soon.”
11 Aug 2020 11:15
Siblings Lose School Items In Ba Fire, Father Seeks Assistance
Kavita Devi, Ashmita Devi, Shushila, Aniket Chand and Amrit Chand in front of their home, which was destroyed in a fire on August 9, 2020. Photo: Nicolette Chambers

Two siblings residing at Sangha Road in Yalalevu, Ba, will be unable to attend school for some time. This is after their uniforms and school necessities were lost in a fire at their home on Sunday night.

Year Seven student of Tagore Primary School in Ba, Ashmita Devi and her brother, also a Year Seven student of DAV Primary School, Aniket Chand, were with their parents, Kavita Devi and Amrit Chand, at the sixth day of the Ashtami when they received a call from a relative that their two-bedroom home was engulfed in flames.

Ms Devi said the fire may have occurred around 10pm.

“We left home at 7pm for the pooja and got a call from my sister-in-law, who lives in the front of my home, that the home was on fire,” she said.

“My children’s bus cards, school uniforms, books and everything else are gone, they won’t be able to go back to school anytime soon.”

The family has been residing in the home for about eight years now.

Mr Chand, who is the sole bread winner of the family, also lost his carpentry tools in the fire.

“I am the only one supporting my family and now all my tools are gone,” he said.

Mr Chand is pleading for assistance to help his family.

Questions sent to the National Fire Authority remain unanswered.

Edited by Ivamere Nataro

Feedback: nicolette.chambers@fijisun.com.fj

Fijisun E-edition
Total Excellium
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper