NEWS

61-Year-Old Is Fiji’s New Border Quarantine Case

The man is said to have travelled from Sacramento in California and transited through Auckland, New Zealand.
14 Aug 2020 10:40
61-Year-Old Is Fiji’s New Border Quarantine Case
Acting Permanent Secretary for Health, Dr James Fong.

A 61-year-old Fijian citizen who arrived into the country on Thursday last week is the country’s latest border quarantine positive case.

This brings the current total active cases of COVID-19 to seven.

The man is said to have travelled from Sacramento in California and transited through Auckland, New Zealand.

He developed COVID-19 like symptoms while in quarantine and is currently in isolation at the Nadi Hospital.

Acting Permanent Secretary for Health, Dr James Fong, confirmed that the man, who was Fiji’s tenth border quarantine case, was in a stable condition.

“All of these patients are returning Fijian citizens who contracted the virus while overseas. As we’ve previously announced, one of those patients has sadly passed away, and two have since recovered,” Dr Fong said.

All active cases, he said would be discharged in accordance with the current Ministry of Health COVID-19 internationally accepted discharge protocols.

He said the man was under strict quarantine from the time he arrived and there was no risk to the Fijian public.

Testing Fee

Dr Fong clarified that the government gazetted $300 COVID-19 testing fee was only charged on foreigners and those who needed to be tested for overseas travel requirements.

He said all tests done for medical purposes were free including tests for repatriated citizens, close contact tracing efforts, Fijians displaying COVID-like symptoms and health care staff who were tested regularly.

According to Dr Fong, Fiji’s tests were relatively affordable.

Edited by Selita Bolanavanua

Feedback: fonua.talei@fijisun.com.fj

Fijisun E-edition
Total Excellium
Subscribe-to-Newspaper
Fiji Sun Instagram
Subscribe-to-Newspaper